Best bee-keeping books?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just wondered if anyone can recommend any good bee-keeping books to a newbee? I have Ted Hooper's Guide To Bees & Honey but am looking for something else - something easy for a new beekeeper to understand & put into practice?
Thanks

I'm also a newbee and haven't had a chance to practice what I have read, but I started on Ted Hooper and then went on to David Cramp "A practical manual of beekeeping", which I found much easier to read and understand. So that would be my recommendation

I also got Bee Keeping: Inspiration and Practical Advice for Would-be Smallholders(Country Living) by Andrew Davies (all three as a deal from a certain on-line book store) which I read in an hour, so not a serious guide, but a good read also. My six year old daughter also read it and now probably know more about the subject than me (we went to a summer show and the local association had observation hive, she spent half an hour chewing the ear of the beek and pointed out all the different bee and cell types).

Ed.

Cramp as a starter book, try Hooper when you have a little experience and context. Cramp writes in an engaging and methodical way, Hooper is a little 'high handed' in his style and assumes prior knowledge, a great book (possibly the best?) but not as a first read IMO

Just wondered if anyone can recommend any good bee-keeping books to a newbee? I have Ted Hooper's Guide To Bees & Honey but am looking for something else - something easy for a new beekeeper to understand & put into practice?
Thanks

Alan Campion's Bees at the Bottom of the Garden is an excellent book for a starter. Well written and clear

I'd add Clive de Bruyns "Practical Beekeeping" to the mix.

Adam

I loved "Bees at the Bottom of your Garden". As an introduction to beekeeping, you can't beat it - short, clear, tells you the outline of everything in an afternoon's read.

I also bought The Complete Guide to Beekeeping by Jeremy Evans and Sheila Barrett, although the book was originally written in the years before varroa hit this country, and it feels like the disease management bit has been sort of tacked on at the end.

ok thanks everyone, will have a look at these on amazon. i agree ted hooper is perhaps not the easiest book for a complete beginner, i thought i was just being a bit daft not understanding him!

Latest posts

Back