Best bee books & DVDs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddywasadevil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just wondering what the best bee books and DVDs that are out there people have tried, I'm new and need all the info I can get, ted hooper was the first one I got but would like to pick up some more

Ted Hooper is acknowledged as the best, Practical beekeeping by Clive De Bruyn is excellent. A practical manual of beekeeping by David Cramp, I also enjoyed Keeping Bees by John Vivian. I haven't watched any instructional DVD's but 'The monk and the honeybee' is a great film to watch.

Lots of suggestions in this thread

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8587

A lot depends on what style of text book you are used to. Many are familiar with the text in Hooper, I find the long paragraphs heavy going and I'm more familiar with scanning bullet points such as in David Cramp's book. Haynes gets a lot of recommends from those who like the visual approach.

Last edited:
stick with ted hooper but have a look at ron brown

have a watch of Paul Metcalfs DVD 'an introduction to bee keeping'
it's very good

look on youtube that a good soure of good beekeeping and bad learn by their mistakes
type iwf.de in the search bar of youtube and check them out

I don't like Ted Hooper's book much, there's lots of useful information in it if you can persevere with it but it's very dry to put it mildly.

I do quite like David Cramp's A practical Guide to Beekeeping. Not perfect by any means but very readable and contains a lot of useful information.

On here I probably shouldn't mention Roger Patterson's book, but I will, there are some points that I just flat disagree with but I've read worse books and if you're going to read a few it is worth a look.

This is going to sound weird, but there is a Haynes Manual on beekeeping. We are one month into beekeeping and it is full of pictures which really helps.

But there is nothing like the real thing - beekeeper meetings, visiting apiaries of friends, going to the shows... that's where we are really learning.

Have fun!

I don't like Ted Hooper's book much, there's lots of useful information in it if you can persevere with it but it's very dry to put it mildly.

I found Hooper a good second bee book - dry and difficult to follow as a complete beginner, but after something a bit simpler and with a little bit of experience it's my bee bible now.

have a watch of Paul Metcalfs DVD 'an introduction to bee keeping'
it's very good

:iagree: I bought it, I really enjoyed it. Good to rewatch again and again. But I read a book before watching it as old Paul isn't too good at explaining why and for what reasons he is doing what he is doing on the DVD. He uses a lot of terms without explanation which you'd need at least some experience and knowledge to understand what he means.

Collins beekeeping bible is a very good book. It is quite a big book with all the ancient history of beekeeping. It isn't meant as a quick instruction guide though. It is more of a reference book

Last edited:
I think David Wootton's book is good for beginners.

I found the DVD's from Bee Works informative and a good watch

Collins beekeeping bible is a very good book. It is quite a big book with all the ancient history of beekeeping. It isn't meant as a quick instruction guide though. It is more of a reference book
It's a good toilet book too :D And I mean that in a good way. Not great as a beekeeping manual perhaps but chock full of interesting stuff about bees and beekeeping.

Im new too and have got 2 books which I have found informative and useful. They are keeping bees a complete practical guide Paul Peacock which is easy to read and has good photos and A practical Manual of Beekeeping by David Cramp which is more in depth. Both books I got through Amazon. I have also looked up information on google.

There is so much information out there and 1 person / book may recommend something and someonelse will recommend something completely different.

Since joining the forum I have been advised to read Hooper book so that will be next on my read list

Payne's bee manual for me too - I find the pictures really useful and the advice is sound. I also have 'bees at the bottom of the garden'

swarming by snelgrove is a good one ideal for a winters read

This is going to sound weird, but there is a Haynes Manual on beekeeping. We are one month into beekeeping and it is full of pictures which really helps.

But there is nothing like the real thing - beekeeper meetings, visiting apiaries of friends, going to the shows... that's where we are really learning.

Have fun!

:iagree: Its a very easy to follow book. But I have the issue with the in-correct Queen marking colour chart. Beekeeping for dummies is ok. But practical knowledge from an experienced keeper is much better.

I loved 'bees at the bottom of the garden' it is a really easy read but informative too. Perfect for beginners

Latest posts

Back