Bell heather v. Ling heather honey: which tastes best?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I checked the heather on the Suffolk coastal heaths (Dunwich Heath) this morning. The bell heather is beginning to show purple whereas the ling won't open for another 4-6 weeks.
I've been accustomed most years, with SteveG on here, to place a couple of hives on the heather in mid-late July to harvest the ling. However I've read two comments in the last few months that 'my favourite honey (of all honey varieties) is bell heather' (one was an article in Beecraft).

So, I'm wondering whether to take my hives earlier this year, to harvest both bell then ling separately. Interested to know what others do, and your taste preference.

I checked the heather on the Suffolk coastal heaths (Dunwich Heath) this morning. The bell heather is beginning to show purple whereas the ling won't open for another 4-6 weeks.
I've been accustomed most years, with SteveG on here, to place a couple of hives on the heather in mid-late July to harvest the ling. However I've read two comments in the last few months that 'my favourite honey (of all honey varieties) is bell heather' (one was an article in Beecraft).

So, I'm wondering whether to take my hives earlier this year, to harvest both bell then ling separately. Interested to know what others do, and your taste preference.
I had one frame of bell heather honey in a super extension on a Nuc last year. The colony was in a friends garden with a cultivated heather bank Erica species rather than Calluna or ling. It tasted nothing like ling heather. Nice though. Ling is very different, much stronger, more caramel flavour and quite unique.

I had one frame of bell heather honey in a super extension on a Nuc last year. The colony was in a friends garden with a cultivated heather bank Erica species rather than Calluna or ling. It tasted nothing like ling heather. Nice though. Ling is very different, much stronger, more caramel flavour and quite unique.

Yes, not everyone likes ling honey. Similarly a new crop round here, Buckwheat. The yield is low and SHMBO and I love it, but not the farmer who sows it nor, probably, 60% folk that taste it. SteveG on here sells it at £10/jar cf £5 for 'ordinary' honey.

Yes, not everyone likes ling honey. Similarly a new crop round here, Buckwheat. The yield is low and SHMBO and I love it, but not the farmer who sows it nor, probably, 60% folk that taste it. SteveG on here sells it at £10/jar cf £5 for 'ordinary' honey.
Oh that’s an interesting one, Buckwheat! What does that taste like?

Out in West Surrey I had a lot of bell 2 years ago, and nothing since. Drought during the month before prevents nectar, I reckon, and last year the heath was bone dry.

Surrey and Suffolk are on heathland, so let's hope for more rain this month.

I like the taste of bell (only get a few cells of ling) and it sells well (227/£7) but extracting it is nauseating.

Makes a good dark marmalade, especially with a slosh of Carribbean rum added at the end.

Oh that’s an interesting one, Buckwheat! What does that taste like?

Delicious! Unfortunately I have none left. Interestingly, it's sown very late = a week ago. My avatar shows the crop last year. One hive is mine, the other SteveG's. If I remember, I'll send you a taster.

Delicious! Unfortunately I have none left. Interestingly, it's sown very late = a week ago. My avatar shows the crop last year. One hive is mine, the other SteveG's. If I remember, I'll send you a taster.
Another fan.....I couldn't eat it.

Latest posts

Back