Beginners seeking bees for 2012.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Hi Folks,

A small group of people in my area are keen to set up a beekeeping group, most having been interested for some years but a little too nervous to start on their own. We have no beekeeping association near to us. We are starting to prepare equipment; some we have been given (Smith hives), some we are making, hopefully with the aim of starting in spring next year. Our biggest concern is finding a source of bees in our area of Scotland (Perthshire) that will be disease free, suited to the area, relatively easy to manage and an encouragement for beginners. We appreciate we may have to travel some distance to pick up a couple of nucs but we would appreciate the experience of the forum in recommending a reputable supplier in Scotland who will take an advanced order for next year.

Thanks, Mike

Welcome to the Forum.

There certainly is an association in your area and I suggest you have a look at the SBA site for the Perth and Kinross Association (from memory so may not be accurate).

Further I suggest you contact Gavin who is on here, and is also quite senior with the SBA.

PH

Thanks Poly,

Although the Perth and Kinross Association is listed, it doesnt actually exist now. Spoke to John Shovlin, the listed contact recently, who, although very helpful and positive, confirmed the inactive nature of the Perth Association.
I'll make an enquiry with the SBA.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Welcome to this forum....a good idea to contact Gavin,there is also a very good forum at the SBKA website which is run by Gavin....i'm sure you would find a contact on there for some local bees....which is also a good idea.

Thanks guys, contact made :)

G.

Hi Folks,

A small group of people in my area are keen to set up a beekeeping group, most having been interested for some years but a little too nervous to start on their own. We have no beekeeping association near to us. We are starting to prepare equipment; some we have been given (Smith hives), some we are making, hopefully with the aim of starting in spring next year. Our biggest concern is finding a source of bees in our area of Scotland (Perthshire) that will be disease free, suited to the area, relatively easy to manage and an encouragement for beginners. We appreciate we may have to travel some distance to pick up a couple of nucs but we would appreciate the experience of the forum in recommending a reputable supplier in Scotland who will take an advanced order for next year.

Thanks, Mike
I would have offered a nuc in the spring as I don't want to increase my number of hives but Perth is a very long way away from Eastbourne. How about finding beekeepers in your area who will generously donate a few of the little treasures for a small sum?
Louise

Looks as if you already have the nucleus of a new beekeeping group and I am sure the SBA would be more than willing to assist in the setting up of one.

PH

It is still a good idea to set up a local group that is totally informal to help each other out. Put a bit of money in to buy an extractor. No rules just good will. Works here. We started with two and one hive and now have twelve people and thirty hives!!!!

An informal group of people that know each other and share their vision for the kind of beekeeping they want to do - brilliant! If they want to expand their ambition to revive the currently moribund local association in their area, fantastic, and they'll get all the help they need from their neighbouring local associations and the SBA.

G.

Latest posts

Back