Beginners hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi(ive)... (h)I've been looking at some beginners kits on the Thorne website. I think I shall be choosing the WBC hive for the extra insulation and traditional looks. I haven't posted a link because I am a little unsure about the rules and don't want to risk being banned.

I just want to know what your thoughts are on these beginner kits. Are they reasonable or would it be better to buy better quality equipment seperately?

Thank you for your help.

Bless, - they dont ban easily here- Not like the BBKA bunch

I have WBC and Nationals - and yes have more closely watched the Nats as was confident the WBC was 'safer' in the snowy weather - but the real safety factor is numbers- never take a small colony into winter if you can avoid.

The beginners kits on Thornes are ok - you have missed the sale- but the offer is good, and the quality is fine. If you can build from flat- all the better.

Most here don't go for WBC but I find them fine -:) We need traditionalists too:cheers2:

Yes as with Heather the beginner kits will serve you well and the wbc hive does look good and traditional perhaps only one suggestion go with the 14x12 bb it will give you and your bees that bit more space.

Thanks for the reply. I should be able to build from flat, i'm usually quite adept at that sort of stuff. Is there a reason many don't use WBC's on here?

I also meant to add in the post if there is a decent be keeping magazine I can subscribe to? Ta very much. Pity I missed the sale

Yes as with Heather the beginner kits will serve you well and the wbc hive does look good and traditional perhaps only one suggestion go with the 14x12 bb it will give you and your bees that bit more space.

Is that the deluxe version of the WBC?

The thing with the wbc is you need lots of extra hive parts and you have to handle them on and off the hive not a problem if you have one or two hives but any more on a hot summers day can be a bit hot under the veil, the brood area is smaller although the 14x12 can compensate for that but it will still be one frame smaller than a national and if you want to move the hive to a new location a bit tricky and more chance of bees escaping.

Is that the deluxe version of the WBC?

Have just taken a look and I think the deluxe has other extra bits but not the 14x12 if you are going to order from Thorns then call them they may exchange the standard for the 14x12 bb with only the difference in price, they probably get asked that all the time and would not surprise me if they had them already boxed with the 14x12

Oh what wuzzes- The only difference with the WBC is the outer layers-(lifts) and they are taken off before you get to the working hive bits- but they make good areas to put your supers on so avoiding damaging the bees and causing them stress. I put 2 lifts one side of the hive 2 on the other and so have 2 areas to use They are not really much more of a problem - and in an area where the weather could be damaging in winter then WBC are a bonus.
Just the people with lots of hives then WBC will slow down an inspection - a few hives - no problem :cheers2:

If you are getting the deeper brood box- bear in mind- you may need an extra outside 'lift' to cover the extra size hive- but I use 12x14 to try and avoid swarming - not sure it works - the little ..... still try

Last edited:
I was hoping to get about 4 eventually. I might have to reconsider if it is really that difficult

One final point you can have both wbc and national as the frames are interchangeable If you see the hive from your kitchen window and you want to look at a wbc you have that and say the other hives at an out apiary then perhaps nationals

One should say other hives are available but please dont go plastic

Just the voice of a newbie - my first post. On recommendation from friends I decided I would start with Nationals, and I bought 2 bees on budget hives from Thornes. The first was a bit of a puzzle to put together, but for my second, they had improved the instructions. Both went together anyway without bother. One had a knot in one of the rails but soon sorted with woodfiller. Good value for money. -Unfortunately you will not get a 14X12 brood with that offer.

Have just started beginners course with local division, and was pleased that the trainer recommended starting with Nationals.

Have enjoyed reading the forum and find it very informative, despite the varying opinions, which in a way are equally informative.

Just the voice of a newbie - my first post. On recommendation from friends I decided I would start with Nationals, and I bought 2 bees on budget hives from Thornes. The first was a bit of a puzzle to put together, but for my second, they had improved the instructions. Both went together anyway without bother. One had a knot in one of the rails but soon sorted with woodfiller. Good value for money. -Unfortunately you will not get a 14X12 brood with that offer.

Have just started beginners course with local division, and was pleased that the trainer recommended starting with Nationals.

Have enjoyed reading the forum and find it very informative, despite the varying opinions, which in a way are equally informative.

ok thanks for the input. I would like to go on a course but they don't start until spring around here. Is yours a theory course?

Ely, You can have a look see at mine if you wish (ooh err missus!) I've got 4 WBC's and 4 Nats at home with bees in. One of the WBC's has a 14 x 12 brood chamber in it. One of the WBC hives is a Thornes one so you have a good look see.
I use the WBC lifts to put things on - often 2 each side just as Heather does. And a frame can be put diagonally across one corner as well if you don't know where else to put it.
WBC's use twice the amount of wood and are therefore more expensive, and are also no good for moving from one apiary to another.

The 14 x 12 brood box is 12" deep and around 3" deeper than a standard brood chamber and consequently gives more brood space. Some have the view that the British Standard frame is too small so the bees can get run out of room so then swarm.

Heather is right that the BBKA forum DID have a lot of 'stuff' going on at one point and some over heavy moderation IMO although it's OK now.
Adam

I feel I must put my hand up and admit to owning a WBC. For those who know me this may seem out of character, like admitting to enjoying Enid Blyton books.

It is a pretty hive and I give it a wash from time to time and coat of paint every few years. It is sited in a corner of the garden next to the winter flowering camelia. Looks ever so nice. It is close to were we have our BBQ but it is no bother because of course...

(pause for dramatic effect)

...there are no bees in it.

Boom, Boom, as that annoying fox used to say.

By a curious coincidence, of the 1% of new hives sold in Denmark made of wood (the other 99% are made of plastic) many are to an old design and they are bought as garden ornaments. So I don't feel too bad about having a WBC in the garden after all.

Ely, there is plastic and plastic.

The polyhives by Swienty and others are impressive. The Swienty poly Langstroth is a real professional box.

The BeeHause is new and has yet to prove itself through a full season with bees aboard. It is a plastics build, but not polystyrene.

Just thought you should be given a perspective. :)

Back