Beginner in need of help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammo2191

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am just starting out on my beekeeping journey, I have the hive, and I have ordered my Nuc, but there is still so much that I don't understand, I have been reading the books, and watching YouTube videos, but I figured that here would probably be the best place to get help.

The hive I have is an autoflow hive, Langstroth box, and the Nuc I have ordered comes on National Hoffman Frames, how to I transfer the Nuc into the hive? Would those frames fit in the hive that I have?

Thank you in advance

Sam

National frames are incompatible with a Langstroth brood chamber. I've never heard of an "autoflow". Do you mean "FlowHive"?

Last edited:
Sam, are you in touch with your local association? Are you taking a course? Did you try to find someone to mentor you?

Hi everyone, I am just starting out on my beekeeping journey, I have the hive, and I have ordered my Nuc, but there is still so much that I don't understand, I have been reading the books, and watching YouTube videos, but I figured that here would probably be the best place to get help.

The hive I have is an autoflow hive, Langstroth box, and the Nuc I have ordered comes on National Hoffman Frames, how to I transfer the Nuc into the hive? Would those frames fit in the hive that I have?

Thank you in advance

Sam
Heres how you do it
https://forum.honeyflow.com/t/convert-uk-national-brood-frame-to-langstroth-in-1-minute/7749You won’t be using the super till next year so keep it in your shed. Not on the brood box
BUT. What actual hands in preparation for keeping bees have you had?

National frames are incompatible with a Langstroth brood chamber. I've never heard of an "autoflow". Do you mean "FlowHive"?
Autoflow is a cheaper version of the flowhive I think.

Thank you in advance

Sam

You have made life so difficult for yourself. No beginner should have to do a langstroth to national conversion as their first act in beekeeping.

My advice would be to put the auto flow in the garage and buy a national hive ASAP.

Sam, are you in touch with your local association? Are you taking a course? Did you try to find someone to mentor you?
That is what I am looking into now, and no I haven't taken courses or found a mentor yet, it is all stuff I am looking at now

Sammo2191

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your bees. Being nosey, what were your reasons for starting this hobby?

Heres how you do it
https://forum.honeyflow.com/t/convert-uk-national-brood-frame-to-langstroth-in-1-minute/7749You won’t be using the super till next year so keep it in your shed. Not on the brood box
BUT. What actual hands in preparation for keeping bees have you had?

Yes. That would work but you'd have to modify the National frames slightly (take a little off their length). They don't quite fit inside a Langstroth frame otherwise.
It really depends on which direction you want your beekeeping to go. There are advocates of Langstroth and National who will advise you to choose their approach. The one thing that most agree on is the FlowHive (or, I suppose, the autoHive equivalent) is a bad idea in this country. The reason for that is that yellow stuff you see growing in farmers fields each spring (although a lot less in my area this year) - Oil Seed Rape (OSR) is a member of the brassica family and sets very hard in the comb. The FlowHive depends on the honey remaining liquid so it wouldn't be my choice.

Sammo2191

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your bees. Being nosey, what were your reasons for starting this hobby?
I have always loved bees, and originally I just wanted to do my part to save the bees, give them somewhere to live, let them do their thing and help the environment. The thought of collecting honey is an added perk, but it all started with wanting to help the bees.

Have you even been near a hive? If you are near me I will willingly give you a hands on experience before you dive in! Not sure of your location

I have always loved bees, and originally I just wanted to do my part to save the bees, give them somewhere to live, let them do their thing and help the environment. The thought of collecting honey is an added perk, but it all started with wanting to help the bee

Many of us started for that reason and because it sounded interesting. You will soon work out that honey bees don't need saving any more than sheep or cows do. But it's still an interesting hobby.

Have you even been near a hive? If you are near me I will willingly give you a hands on experience before you dive in! Not sure of your location

I am in Welling in Kent? I would love the chance to get up close to a hive!

I am in Welling in Kent? I would love the chance to get up close to a hive!
Too far away from Somerset! You really need to get up close. Dealing with a few thousand bees can be quite a challenge for some! Hope someone in Kent may step forward. Best of luck. Meanwhile go into the blog section and in the author tab click on my avatar. There is a series in there written for a magazine in the past. It may open your eyes a bit more!

Too far away from Somerset! You really need to get up close. Dealing with a few thousand bees can be quite a challenge for some! Hope someone in Kent may step forward. Best of luck. Meanwhile go into the blog section and in the author tab click on my avatar. There is a series in there written for a magazine in the past. It may open your eyes a bit more!
Thank you, I will go and look there now

I have always loved bees, and originally I just wanted to do my part to save the bees, give them somewhere to live, let them do their thing and help the environment. The thought of collecting honey is an added perk, but it all started with wanting to help the bees.
The solitary bees and bumbles are the ones that need saving. In fact some conservationists argue there are too many honey bees.

Latest posts

Back