Beeswax prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as honey...
some give it away in one pound jars
some sell it as a premium product for a premium price
£30 per KG and worth every penny! to a cosmetics company

Cappings for cosmetics.
Indeed... plus some!!.... but only from Cornish Black Native bees.
Sold to a pharmaceutical company who make very expensive cosmetics
PITA as usually use a hot air method with a tine... but when someone is prepared to pay a premium .....
Wax is tripple filtered... wonderful aroma and a creamy white!

If we made it into lip balm it would be £25+ a tiny pot!..... looked into ***regulations... £160 per test plus £40 for each variation of recipe.

*** now mandatory new UK regs.

The going rate in this part of the world is £15 per kilo of coarse-filtered wax. I usually sell to people who make beeswax wraps.

The going rate in this part of the world is £15 per kilo of coarse-filtered wax. I usually sell to people who make beeswax wraps.

Now that is a BIG can or worms.....
Beeswax Wraps come under the Food Hygiene regs.... and your "kitchen"/ food production area has to be accessed and approved by Environtmental Health!

Everything thrown in to the same melt and course filtered (but totally clean of all dross) same as ChrisS.
Good for candles or polish, but what of it's use for human consumption?

Ordinary combs contain foundation that contain chemical residues from endless varroa treatments and wax recycling.

Pharma companies want clean cappings, as Apple described; that ought to be the choice of those of us who make soap, lip balms, bee wraps or any other product that comes into human use.

Charge a premium for cappings and explain why: customer will love you for it because the sort that make these products like purity.

Which wax would you rather put on your lips?

Last edited:
Ordinary combs contain foundation which contain chemical residues from endless varroa treatments and wax recycling.

It's one of the best reasons for being foundationless - or only making your own foundation from wax that has come from your own foundationless frames ...

It's one of the best reasons for being foundationless - or only making your own foundation from wax that has come from your own foundationless frames ...
So are you treatment free? I also reuse my wax and make my own foundation, but I know I also treat, if necessary, in winter with oxalic acid so some of that will make its way into my wax.

Bee use 7 kg honey to nake 1 kg wax.

If honey is £ 8 / kg the wax kilo
has a value of £ 56.

I need all my wax to make new foundations.

Bee use 7 kg honey to nake 1 kg wax.

If honey is £ 8 / kg the wax kilo
has a value of £ 56.

I need all my wax to make new foundations.
So if you take all the honey they make and feed them 7kg of sugar to make wax then that would only cost you £5 or thereabouts so does that make wax only worth £5 a kilo ? :)

I sell my wax in 1oz blocks for £1.50 ... made into woodturners polish for a bit more than that in a screw top tin ...

So, by my calculations ... 35 oz to a kilo .... £52.50 per kilo so you are not far out at £56 ...

So if you take all the honey they make and feed them 7kg of sugar to make wax then that would only cost you £5 or thereabouts so does that make wax only worth £5 a kilo ? :)

I sell my wax in 1oz blocks for £1.50 ... made into woodturners polish for a bit more than that in a screw top tin ...

So, by my calculations ... 35 oz to a kilo .... £52.50 per kilo so you are not far out at £56 ...

Splended...

Latest posts

Back