some give it away in one pound jars
some sell it as a premium product for a premium price
£30 per KG and worth every penny! to a cosmetics company

Apple 

Banned
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Cappings for cosmetics.
Indeed... plus some!!.... but only from Cornish Black Native bees.
Sold to a pharmaceutical company who make very expensive cosmetics
PITA as usually use a hot air method with a tine... but when someone is prepared to pay a premium .....
Wax is tripple filtered... wonderful aroma and a creamy white!

If we made it into lip balm it would be £25+ a tiny pot!..... looked into ***regulations... £160 per test plus £40 for each variation of recipe.

*** now mandatory new UK regs.

ChrisS 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
The going rate in this part of the world is £15 per kilo of coarse-filtered wax. I usually sell to people who make beeswax wraps.

Apple 

Banned
Reaction score
Number of Hives
The going rate in this part of the world is £15 per kilo of coarse-filtered wax. I usually sell to people who make beeswax wraps.
Now that is a BIG can or worms.....
Beeswax Wraps come under the Food Hygiene regs.... and your "kitchen"/ food production area has to be accessed and approved by Environtmental Health!

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I know someone who gets that much for a pound for wrap production

ericbeaumont 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Everything thrown in to the same melt and course filtered (but totally clean of all dross) same as ChrisS.
Good for candles or polish, but what of it's use for human consumption?

Ordinary combs contain foundation that contain chemical residues from endless varroa treatments and wax recycling.

Pharma companies want clean cappings, as Apple described; that ought to be the choice of those of us who make soap, lip balms, bee wraps or any other product that comes into human use.

Charge a premium for cappings and explain why: customer will love you for it because the sort that make these products like purity.

Which wax would you rather put on your lips?

Last edited:

pargyle 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ordinary combs contain foundation which contain chemical residues from endless varroa treatments and wax recycling.
It's one of the best reasons for being foundationless - or only making your own foundation from wax that has come from your own foundationless frames ...

plain_hunt 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
It's one of the best reasons for being foundationless - or only making your own foundation from wax that has come from your own foundationless frames ...
So are you treatment free? I also reuse my wax and make my own foundation, but I know I also treat, if necessary, in winter with oxalic acid so some of that will make its way into my wax.

Latest posts