Beeswax furniture polish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
Does anyone have a well tried recipe for this please.
I found one on the forum but it had not been tried and I have one from one of my books.

Apologies Louise.
Not tried any yet though intending to. First year beekeeping and not much spare wax as yet. I do know though that you should only use pure turpentine, not the substitute rubbish. Believe i saw on the/a forum thread that some people were struggling to find any. Unless you already know where to get some it may pay to source this while waiting for a tried and tested recipe.

Just a thought, could you use the recipes you've got to make a very small amount? If so you could try it out before you make a bigger batch, depends really on how much wax you have to spare:.)

Thanks, I am also first year of beekeeping but have quite a bit of wax. I think my painting suppliers where I have been going frequently for the paint for the outside of the house will have proper turpentine. So may try a small quantity and report back.

Hi. Thornes catalogue says:
equal parts beeswax & pure turpentine, heat gently over water bath until melted. When liquid pour into conatiners and leave to set.
For a cream polish, add approx 10% pure soap flakes.

Anyone tried this one????

In a word no, and it looks to me like a very soft polish which frankly is not that much good as with out carnuba it is a "tacky finish" and peeps don't like that.

I am trying to source the recipe I used to use, and will post it up if successful.

Ah google.... this is as far as I have got.

92 ML2848 SF539.7 Furness,Clara Making beeswax polish ........ so it is in the Moir Library.

PH

Last edited:
Turpentine substitute works just as well. It's only there as a thinning agent.
You'll have to stir as the mixture cools otherwise the wax and the turpentine will seperate.
Add more wax than you think you'll need - it's easier to handle a thick polish than a thin one.
Use a double boiler to melt and prepare and pour into a low dish.

I make my own for polishing bowls and spindles - although I haven't bee able to get an my lathe this year as it's covered in beehive parts.

although I haven't bee able to get an my lathe this year as it's covered in beehive parts.

I am in the same boat,I have stuff at the back of my shed I have not seen for two years.

I am in the same boat,I have stuff at the back of my shed I have not seen for two years.

How do you know that you have it at the back of your shed if you haven't seen it for two years?? The shed Faeries might have taken it.. (sounds a bit Stephen King don't it?):biggrinjester:

Turpentine substitute works just as well. It's only there as a thinning agent.
You'll have to stir as the mixture cools otherwise the wax and the turpentine will seperate.
Add more wax than you think you'll need - it's easier to handle a thick polish than a thin one.
Use a double boiler to melt and prepare and pour into a low dish.

I make my own for polishing bowls and spindles - although I haven't bee able to get an my lathe this year as it's covered in beehive parts.

Ok. So to make quality polish for the discerning user use pure turpentine. Some people think ready meals are just as good as real food, they obviously like eating cr*p. Similar situation surely.

How do you know that you have it at the back of your shed if you haven't seen it for two years?? The shed Faeries might have taken it.. (sounds a bit Stephen King don't it?):biggrinjester:

Its not the shed fairies,its the bl**dy kids when they move out.
I was looking for my tyre pressure gauge the other day for over an hour,one of the kids pops a head in the shed and says "I have that dad if you want to borrow it" :toetap05:

Latest posts

Back