Beeswax Foundation types.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After a little research I have found the difference between Premium and Standard foundation as supplied by Thornes.

As follows:

Premium beeswax foundation(Premier Foundation):

The source is a mixture of British and West African wax that conforms to BP standards (British pharmacopoeia specification for Cosmetic, Pharmaceutical or Food use).

Standard foundation:

This is a mixture of Beeswax from several sources.

I did wonder the difference apart from price because on inspection it looked like it came through the rollers at the same thickness.

From reading up on beeswax I understand that an even higher standard exists that is Defence standard ?

I am using premium foundation this year in my nucs I am selling. (going for all or as near all Britsh nuc as I can!)

There is a noticeable difference in the aroma (smell) from it. It actually smells like bees wax, compared to the standard which has little smell.

Also it looks visually different in colour/shade, and once again it "looks" like bees wax rather than plasticy

I have never rated Thornes foundation.

Steele and Brodie's was better and then I was put on to Kembles and have never looked back.

PH

Would you recommend Kembles then PH ?
I have only known Thornes, but have not been impressed by the premium or Std, Kembles prices look very good particularly if they are of exceptional quality.

http://www.kemble-bees.com/

Brede Valley Bee Farm
Cottage Lane
Westfield
Hastings
East Sussex TN35 4RT

The foundation from Peter Kemble is deep walled and the bees just love it. The only better foundation is the home made stuff I used to turn out with the mould.

I can honestly thoroughly recommend it to you with no reservations.

PH

Latest posts

Back