bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi, can anyone tell me what is the best time of year to start a new hive,
also the latest time
many thanks

New Starter

Hello, If you are in Calverton Nottingham you are welcome to visit my Apiary at Ravenshead.

I will be going through some Bees on Saturday (weather permitting) PM (personal message) me your number and I will give you a call on Saturday.

I am only a few miles away in Ravenshead.

welcome dennis, the best time is early spring, eg early april, if you have bees now July time you still may be able to take them through the winter, but if its a small colony then its better to put them in a nuc box rather than a large hive,depends on the size of the colony

Early as possible in the year

People are saying it's a bit late to get a good queen now though some hives are definitely trying.

I'm all for enthusiasm Dennis and know what it's like to get caught up in the excitement of it all :).
A word of caution!
By all means take up beesatshellards offer of a little hands on experience but don't rush into obtaining bees asap! , you need to know a bit about the game before parting with hard earned cash :)
Don't worry about the best time, you can in fact position bees at anytime of the year , there are no dead lines. no boats to miss etc.
Take advantage of bas's kind introduction to the craft , take your time, absorb all that's necessary, get the feel of what it's like to be up to the elbows in a strong colony . Get an understanding of the commitment it involves (in time that is . hard labour it isn't).
When you feel the hobby ticks all the right boxes is when I would advise you to obtain your bees ! Too many people get their bees immediately only to find themselves quickly out of their depth with no one to turn to and post panicky HELP messages on here ;)

Finally Welcome to the forum and please don't think I'm trying to put you off :),Just the opposite, I want you to make the best possible start, after all you want it to be a pleasure not a nightmare!

I'm sure , many's the newbie who has been lost to the craft by being too hasty ,
Regards VM

Th**nes do a good basic starter kit on Fleabay including basic smock and honey extractor.

Although I would replace the plastic queen excluder with a wired framed one from C Wy*ne Jones. And at a later date with a full bee suit from BJShe*riffs.

Get yourself a Nuc and use as a bait hive when not in use and a spare hive - you never know when they will come in handy :)

Most important join you local beekeepers association and get to know your local members they will be an invaluable source of help and support :)

I'
Don't worry about the best time, you can in fact position bees at anytime of the year , there are no dead lines. no boats to miss etc.
Take advantage of bas's kind introduction to the craft , take your time, absorb all that's necessary, get the feel of what it's like to be up to the elbows in a strong colony . Get an understanding of the commitment it involves (in time that is . hard labour it isn't).

As victor says there is no best or worst time to get bees, but you need to understand there are different thing you do at different times of the year.

best to get your hands in there, and maybe a sting or 2, and then get ready for next year.

No bad times? Mid winter immediately comes to mind. As does early spring, say Feb.

I would not buy bees then nor much later than August.

PH

Hi and welcome, I just finished a BBKA course for beginners, and think I am a lot more confident now after doing the classroom and pracical stuff at other peoples aiparys, there were so many people on the cours that had bees and said that they wish they had done the course first, see if you cn find a course in your area.

I will say Im a newbie, and my opinion is of my own experience and may not be right for you, but its worth a thought.

No bad times? Mid winter immediately comes to mind. As does early spring, say Feb.

PH

So you would not over winter a nuc then?

If I was to sell a nuc over winter (which I have never done) the buyer would have the same risks and work to do as I would have.

And you have to go through a winter at some point.

Hi and welcome, I just finished a BBKA course for beginners, and think I am a lot more confident now after doing the classroom and pracical stuff at other peoples aiparys, there were so many people on the cours that had bees and said that they wish they had done the course first, see if you cn find a course in your area.

I will say Im a newbie, and my opinion is of my own experience and may not be right for you, but its worth a thought.

:iagree: the enthusiasm is great, but as a newbie myself I don't think I could have done it without taking a course first (and joining a BKA afterwards) to get some hands on experience. You don't know how you'll be with holding a frame full of bees with flyers all around, let alone a full, strong colony. Good luck with it all though and welcome :)

PH

Bought a hive Mid Winter( tell a lie, it was gifted provided I bought a quantity of honey of the guy ;) ) moved it a quarter of a mile !
Come springtime ( first examination ) it was as far ahead as the rest and went on to produce an above average crop :).
Got to admit My wife and I carried it the whole of the 500 yards , no bumping or jarring , they didn't know they'd been moved :)

VM

Latest posts

Back