bees with white stripes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just been checking on the bees.
There seems to be quite a number of them coming in and out with white strips on the back of their heads.
I fairly certain that it's pollen.

Can anybody tell me (or have a guess) at what type it is?

its himalayan balsam,grows near streams and rivers. its not a native plant and the envoiromentalists hate it as it out competes the natrual plants, but the bees go mad for it.

Yes. Do not phone your regional Bee Inspector and and claim that your bees have some unusual type of fungal disease.

Ours are all coming in looking like they've been dredged with flour! Especially this week. Definitely Himalayan balsam. It makes good honey, we're told...

The white stripe is actually a membership badge for a quasi political group.

Known as the "Pernicious Plant Propagation Party"

Quasi means that it's a bit jelly like, just like the main protagonists that seek or hold power.

Why dont beginners' courses tell new beeks about this.

My main crop is balsam and it tastes fantatsic

If conservationists had their way there would be no balsam here. But for beekeepers ... I wish someone would drop a few seeds near my river
E

I know the seeds are often spread by water, but I guess wind has a part to play in seed dispersal as well. You get HB in the most unlikely places.

Have you ever touched the seed pod of HB ? it explodes and all the seeds shoot out, I tried to collect some last year and the only way of collecting them is to turn the tops over and put them in a cup or crisp packet, I cant for enviromental reasons tell you what I done with them but I think it is a better looking plant than jap knot weed

Latest posts

Back