• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bees wanted Skipton

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wag

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
can anyone help me to get started in beekeeping?ihave everything but bees!will be using wbc hives.i am in skipton north yorkshire.thanks

can anyone help me to get started in beekeeping?ihave everything but bees!will be using wbc hives.i am in skipton north yorkshire.thanks

bit late in the season now, in Sheffield here but I wont be doing much until 2010 like most others

Jezd

I approached both Airedale and Wharfedale during the swarming season but neither were able to help.

Are you a member of these associations?

The more switched on ones usually have a beginners programme that involves supplying you with a nuc (and mentor) in the first year.

I approached both Airedale and Wharfedale during the swarming season but neither were able to help.

They will only help you out if you've done their beginners course or you are a member. I'm in Airedale and they've had a large amount of beginners this year and struggled to give everybody a nuc. Fortunately I've been helping out at the Association apiary and the apiary manager gave me a nuc from his own bees.

If you want to join Airedale let me know I'll give you the details. That way you will be in line for some bees next year.

I have attended the beginners course run by Airedale BKA x2 in the past.Do I have to sit the course again to be offerred some bees?It was a pleasurable course(organised by Sue Chatfield),don't get me wrong,but I would rather not have to do the theory again.What I need now is bees so I can put the theory into practice.
Wag

Get talking to your local BKA members - now.

You have some hives? If so talk about attracting a swarm or two.

I am sure one of the members would be able to supply some old (but healthy) comb as bait. Add a swarm lure and cross your fingers in the swarming season. But you have to take what you get - health, demeanor etc., that way.

It might be as cheap to buy a local nuc from one of the members (rather than do the course 5 more times!!).

You might be brave enough to get your name on the local police/council/pest control lists and collect a swarm or two if the opportunity arises.

Lots of (well several!) options. You just need to list everything, decide on what you are willing to do and get on with it.

Probability is you will get more than you want/need, by actioning several options, but nothing if you do nothing. Sounds like there will be takers if you get too many, and you would be an instant friend to anyone who gets their first nuc/swarm through your efforts.

Regards, RAB

Back