Bees under OMF

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
My first hive is currently doing well with plenty of brood and stores. I was watching it the other day and noticed several bees mooching around under the stand as well as those in and out of the main entrance. I got down and had a look and found the underside of the OMF covered in bees. Most of this was just a single layer of bees but with a greater concentration in the centre where I assume the main brood is. They all seemed to be very industrious, carrying out some task through the mesh. I don't know how long they have been there but about a week ago I added an entrance block with the large opening for them to use in anticipation of wasps. Prior to this they had a fully open entrance the width of the floor. Any ideas as to why they are there and is this likely to cause any kind of problem?

My first hive is currently doing well with plenty of brood and stores. I was watching it the other day and noticed several bees mooching around under the stand as well as those in and out of the main entrance. I got down and had a look and found the underside of the OMF covered in bees. Most of this was just a single layer of bees but with a greater concentration in the centre where I assume the main brood is. They all seemed to be very industrious, carrying out some task through the mesh. I don't know how long they have been there but about a week ago I added an entrance block with the large opening for them to use in anticipation of wasps. Prior to this they had a fully open entrance the width of the floor. Any ideas as to why they are there and is this likely to cause any kind of problem?

1)could be robber Bees from another colony trying to get in
2) just dis orientated bees
3) Thornes ecomony floor with the rear gap above the varroa board and under the floor mesh that disoroientated bees think is an entrance

if recently swarmed could be clustered around a virgin queen

My entrance blocks are about 22mm square and about 50-100 mm less than the opening width. Various sizes are handy and I just fit the length I feel appropriate in the circumstaces. 50 x 22 mm entrance should be well small enough to defend for a strongish colony.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back