Bees too hot?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeJones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, can bees get too hot?

My hive is in direct sunlight, I have a reduced entrance (they're a small colony building up nicely), and the varroa floor is on as I am doing a varroa count this week.

Would it be best to open the entrance up and remove the varroa floor to give them some 'air'?

Thanks
Diane :)

Given that it's not robbing season I would get rid of the entrance block.

I would also make sure the feed holes on the crown board are not covered. I'm not sure the floor makes any difference to the ventilation as its a flow of air through the entrance and up to the feed holes you're after.

I wouldn't worry too much though

It probably is possible for them to over heat, but I've seen lots of very healthy hives on hillsides in southern Spain, baking in the sun - they seemed fine. Remember that they are evaporating a lot of nectar at the moment, so this will be cooling them.

On OMFs - well, 10 years ago, all floors were solid, and the bees seemed to get along fine (apart from the varroa...)

According to Cramps book, "side of a volcano or side of an iceberg, bees will maintain the same hive temperature". Before you all pile in, his words not mine. (Lol)

I have a metal top on my beehives.
So I put a baking tray on top and fill it with water.
The Baking tray has with wire mesh on top.

Rae

Might bee wrong but I think the Spanish and other hot climates paint hive roofs white to reflect heat, same as they do to buildings.

Might bee wrong but I think the Spanish and other hot climates paint hive roofs white to reflect heat, same as they do to buildings.

I didn't notice them being white, but that could have been my lack of observation. Most hives in the UK have reflective metal roofs...which would have a similar effect.

You can also try Thornes thermal quilt silver side up in the summer.
John

i dont know about bees beeing hot but i know a beek that is in that bee suit

I have a metal top on my beehives.
So I put a baking tray on top and fill it with water.
The Baking tray has with wire mesh on top.

Probably not as affective as solar tubes, but I may give it a go. And a pain carrying a tray of hot water from the hive across my long grass to the house and my bath though.

There are recorded cases of hives involved in fires where the exterior is heavily charred yet inside the colony is fine.

They can cope with extremes of heat.

PH

Latest posts

Back