Bees struggling to find entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Collected a nucleus yesterday and now all settled in main hive. Quite cool here today, few bees out and about ,but they seem to be struggling to find the entrance to return to the hive. One or two at the back of the hive acting as if they are trying to find the entrance. Have hive numerous nucs/swarms but never experienced this before. Anything I should be doing? Thanks.

Personally, I leave a nuc to stand for a few hours, on the stand that their new box will go on (with the entrance facing the right way, and at roughly the right height, of course), before I hive them. That way they have a chance to learn where they are, and which way their entrance points, before the inevitable chaos of a hive transfer.

But for this time, just open the entrance as wide as possible, block off the sides so they don't go under the hive (checking that there isn't a cluster under there already), and they will mostly work it out in time

Collected a nucleus yesterday and now all settled in main hive. Quite cool here today, few bees out and about ,but they seem to be struggling to find the entrance to return to the hive. One or two at the back of the hive acting as if they are trying to find the entrance. Have hive numerous nucs/swarms but never experienced this before. Anything I should be doing? Thanks.
Probably just a few out having an orientation. I’d really doubt they are struggling. Ian

Probably just a few out having an orientation. I’d really doubt they are struggling. Ian
:iagree: I've hived loads of nucs over the years, straight out of the truck at the apiary then into a full hive, no time to hang around for hours for them to orientate around the nuc before hiving them

Thanks for responding. Nice and sunny yesterday with lots of bees out and all finding the entrance. Panic over.

Latest posts

Back