Bees stripping newly built comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Here's the story ....

Small cast swarm put into a nuc with all new foundation about 3-4 weeks ago. I gave them about a pint of syrup but they weren't very interested so I didn't bother to top it up once they'd finally taken it all.

After a couple of weeks they'd drawn 2-3 frames of comb, and eggs were present.

Went to inspect this week, and found that on one side of one frame the comb had been stripped off almost back to the foundation.

On the ground beneath the mesh floor of the nuc there was a good layer of wax particles, that looked like cappings. But I hadn't given them any stores and it's too soon for any brood to be emerging.

I've got the entrance on the smallest aperture, so it's not mice.

So I'm pretty sure it was the bees - but why??? Has anyone seen anything like this?

They just had some nectar and pollen, nothing capped. I didn't give them any stores, so this is just what they've been bringing in.
There's no indication that they're being robbed.

Here's the story ....

Small cast swarm put into a nuc with all new foundation about 3-4 weeks ago. I gave them about a pint of syrup but they weren't very interested so I didn't bother to top it up once they'd finally taken it all.

After a couple of weeks they'd drawn 2-3 frames of comb, and eggs were present.

Went to inspect this week, and found that on one side of one frame the comb had been stripped off almost back to the foundation.

On the ground beneath the mesh floor of the nuc there was a good layer of wax particles, that looked like cappings. But I hadn't given them any stores and it's too soon for any brood to be emerging.

I've got the entrance on the smallest aperture, so it's not mice.

So I'm pretty sure it was the bees - but why??? Has anyone seen anything like this?

Could have sworn that the state of some of my frames were the same after I rejigged them.

Do they undraw the frames for any reason?

Back