bees running out of room advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlawr42103

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I run on commercials.
4 of my hives have been really strong this year, a few weeks ago I extracted all that was available and stripped these hives down to 1 super only and gave them a bit of a feed.
I left the 1 super on these as they really need the room. The bb are full and all frames in the supers are covered in bees... It looked cramped but they did all fit.

I was hoping they would start reducing in numbers soon and i could then nadir the supers.

With all this warm weather these 4 now are still bursting, 2 of them have almost completely filled the super with ivy, the other 2 are not far behind.

I'm worried about what will happen if/when they run out of room and they are still bringing in ivy? I really don't want to add another super this time of year. I did think about trying to swap out some full ivy frames for drawn empty, but concerned about interfering with them too much leading up to winter.

Any advice?

Warm enough to put another super with ready drawn comb on... then nadir it over winter/

Yeghes da

Or put a new super under the bb now. If they need it they will use it. Take it off in the spring.

Latest posts

Back