Bees remove foundation along wires

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ru78

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Afternoon all,
Thanks for previous help...
As in the title really, I've got a newish (~6weeks) swarm that we put into a national hive brood box with 11 frames of new foundation, the type with the zig zag wire set into the foundation.

Whilst they've drawn out about 8 frames, we moved an empty end one into the middle to encourage them to draw this, but whilst they are drawing parts of it, they have also nibbled away the foundation along the wires in several places...?

Why? and should I be worried? or just leave them to it?

Thanks
Ru

wired framed comb is not natural for bees.

they like shortcuts around the comb/nest AND they also rely on transmission of vibrations to communicate - fixed comb hampers this. think sprung dance floor vs concrete floor.

Usually if they chew a hole in the wax it is so they can communicate side to side while the draw the wax, but if they only did it along the wires I would guess the wire was oxidizing when embedded and they are trying to clear out the contaminated wax.

they have also nibbled away the foundation along the wires in several places
I have seen this happen. Then they repair it.. Probably not up to quality control standard.

Few months ago I had to put a frame in obs hive that had three odd bits of foundation in it...(thought I had some and didnt) They nibbled the joins away and rebuilt the comb to their satifaction and in the process chucked an odd piece of wire out for the scrap man.
Yes they will aslo make a new doorway to get to the other side.

We have a similar phemonenon - when the frame is full of sealed brood it's really clear that there are no larvae in the cells directly on top of the wires, so there is a zig zag of empty cells amid the brood. I think the queen looks in before she lays, sees that there is 'something' already in there, doesn't lay in that cell, and moves on.

My husband often films our weekly inspections, and if you look at this one on You t*be :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Vf3ZJ8Nf8&feature=related[/ame]

you can see it perfectly at 2 mins 25 seconds!

LJ

Its quite common on new frames that the wire takes a bit longer to get covered over with wax so the queen delays laying in the cells and you get the zig zag pattern but will disappear after a couple of brood cycles.

I believe that the wires are avoided because they conduct heat away and remain cool when wax is being kept warm for moulding as comb drawing proceeds.

Latest posts

Back