Bees refusing syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like finman's posts but do laugh as he jumps straight in to the deep end without often thinking though he appears to be the worlds expert on UK beekeeping. Like Aussie or USA the locations are all chalk and cheese for over wintering or summer survival and all year round forage.

I like finman's posts but do laugh as he jumps straight in to the deep end without often thinking though he appears to be the worlds expert on UK beekeeping.

And you Hemo, you speak like a world's owner.

I do not need to think, beause British beekeeper remind me that every week, that I have nothing to teach them. They know everything (in their own way).

Britain ruled India 400 years, but they did not succeed to teach much to Indian people.

British beekeepers have even taught to me, that Finland and Britain have different climate. That was new to me.
And oversees knowledge is not a knowledge in Britain. Brexit spirit.

If I think these forum texts deeply, I surely miss my night sleeps. This is so important gang.

Last edited:
Which is why I am always a bit baffled that an Australian beekeeper feels the need to join a UK-based beekeeping forum.

I wouldn't even think about joining an Australian forum, as my experiences would be irrelevant to them and would merely risk misinforming new beekeepers about what to worry about and what not to worry about.
Your comments are expressed politely, and I thank you for that. I wish to give a polite answer.
Some of the other comments in this thread were formulated by minds that seem to thrive on vulgarity.
It is true that different climate conditions contribute to different methods being required for housing and feeding of bees. However it is also true that very significant parts of beekeeping wisdom are applicable throughout the beekeeping world. By and large, books about beekeeping are written about the nature of bees, and how to understand them - and not about the climate where the beekeeper lives. That said, your second sentence does not withstand scrutiny.

I did not talk about big wooden ants. Its name is horse ant in Finland, and it dig tunnels in rottening wood. It does not have sting.

I spoke about black small ants, which move easily to the loft of hives. There are quite many black ant species im Finland.

There is one ant here, blood ant. It attacks on beehives too. It uses black ants as slaves. It makes its nest tunnels underground. And nest can be 20 metres wide.

Yes correct, you mentioned forest and I assumed that this referred to a larger wood ant specie.

Typically the UK only has issues with garden or pavement type small ants during the summer where numbers increase quite quickly, they are not a nuisance to the majority of hives.

This year has been a very good year for ants, I have never seen so many ant nests/ small mounds appear on my garden lawn.

Sadly not with 100% with slugs, I have had some success with the copper tape trick on the hive stand legs it worked for a season or too but the weather takes it's toll so now thinking of wrapping some 0.1/0.15mm flexi sheet to the legs approx. 6 - 8" up them. Like all things it's a job I never get round to doing and is side lined.

Some of my stands are now simple 18" pallets used for transporting security safes, so need to revise how to apply the copper.

One that also stands out is the do you supply water thread that started via the Aus poster, it had no bearing to the UK as we are surrounded by water and copious watering places for the bees to visit. In Aus it was about supplying water due to heat evaporation and lack of sources and over here it became a supplying of alternative source to stop bees visiting other gardens because of a nuisance factor of forage collection..
I can fully understand your comment, and the thoughts behind it. But the fact is that there are other beekeepers, (from warm non-UK countries) who visit this forum. There should be opportunity for the sharing of useful information and knowledge.
Yes, I was interested to try to gain knowledge about feeding water to bees. And it was a British beekeeper who provided the information which I found most helpful.
There was another thread which aroused a lot of controversy, about hot paraffin-wax dipping of hive boxes. It just so happens that I have expert experience in this. Conversely there were far too many misinformed comments made by some UK contributors to this forum. Hot wax dipping of hive boxes is a very beneficial method of providing long term protection against timber-rot in hive boxes, but appropriate safety measures are paramount.

Thank you Dani, but ducks would not be the answer in my situation. Unfortunately the ducks would starve if they had to rely on the slugs and snails which could be found here! (Also, I think it is likely that the slugs may have made their entrance into the hives during the hours of darkness, when ducks are sleeping.)

Thank you Dani, but ducks would not be the answer in my situation. Unfortunately the ducks would starve if they had to rely on the slugs and snails which could be found here! (Also, I think it is likely that the slugs may have made their entrance into the hives during the hours of darkness, when ducks are sleeping.)
Well you do feed ducks. I don’t personally keep ducks but I do have hens. They free range but I feed them as well.
Maybe it wound be a simple thing to just check the hive tops every morning and throw the slugs into your neighbours garden

I have a hive in a friends garden where they keep ducks free-range; I have never seen so many slugs in one place as there are under the mesh floor. I think they gather there because that's the safest refuge for them.
That’s another theory out the window then. My hens won’t touch slugs. Yuk! They say

Your comments are expressed politely, and I thank you for that. I wish to give a polite answer.
Some of the other comments in this thread were formulated by minds that seem to thrive on vulgarity.

Yes, many of us enjoy occasional vulgarity (see post 113 above) and forthright opinion - maybe that’s why this forum thrives more than some others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back