Bees refusing syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer syrup, mixed in volume it’s easy and it’s certainly taken faster by the bees. It’s also cheaper with the added benefits of adding thymol.

I usually have the odd frame or two so that’s removed for use in nucs later in the year
:iagree: I usually end up removing frames of stores from most hives in spring - even some nucs. It comes in handy for making up new nucs later on, or emergency feeding if there is a bit of a June gap

Thats a very interesting observation. I am left with the impression that he/ its turning an ordinary task into a hobbyists micromanaged obsession.
On his videos, Irish Bee is feeding in Spring to build up colonies. He's trying, in particular, to get foundation drawn as this is putting himself in the shoes of a new beekeeper. The principle of retaining heat in syrup using insulation is what was originally put forward. Does anyone think that is wrong?

The principle of retaining heat in syrup using insulation is what was originally put forward. Does anyone think that is wrong?
Not me. I find though that the bees keep the syrup warm. I use 2litre rapids but I’ve just bought a couple of 5 litre ones from Abelo.
That’s one downside if the Maisie nuc feeders. If the bees don’t t take the syrup down quickly it goes cold because it’s insulated from the bees.

Captain, I bruise them in Spring and put them in the middle of the brood nest. A week later and that frame is full of brood, so I repeat until I have my 8 frames of brood and then super. No hope involved it just works.

PH

On his videos, Irish Bee is feeding in Spring to build up colonies. He's trying, in particular, to get foundation drawn as this is putting himself in the shoes of a new beekeeper. The principle of retaining heat in syrup using insulation is what was originally put forward. Does anyone think that is wrong?
My comment referred to the 600g and 200g specificity, and the need for repeated and frequent visits to the hives.

My comment referred to the 600g and 200g specificity, and the need for repeated and frequent visits to the hives.

You're obviously right, but his point is that if you can afford the time to do this in Spring, you will help build-up and comb drawing whilst avoiding excessive storage of sugar.

You're obviously right, but his point is that if you can afford the time to do this in Spring, you will help build-up and comb drawing whilst avoiding excessive storage of sugar.
Yes, I have found the thinner the syrup in spring the harder they seem to work at drawing comb.

:iagree: I usually end up removing frames of stores from most hives in spring - even some nucs. It comes in handy for making up new nucs later on, or emergency feeding if there is a bit of a June gap
A slight off topic question, but when you remove frames in Spring for possible later use, how do you store them?

Mine simply go in the store shed in an empty brood with covers top & bot.
A freezer if you are lucky is another option.

If you feed 20 kg sugar to one hive, and one feeding is 0,6 kg, you must fill the feeder 33 times. Every day during one month.

And if you have 10 hives...

A slight off topic question, but when you remove frames in Spring for possible later use, how do you store them?
I have loads of empty nucs doing nothing for a while, so they go in there, entrances shut until needed

Do you seal the mesh floor? I used a nuc to do that this year and found that earwigs had gained entry through the mesh.
No, earwigs only seem to be an issue from midsummer on, but the do no damage anyway so it doesn't bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back