bees outside hive at night

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJolly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a quick question from a newbee. I have a handful of docile looking bees hanging around one of my hives and half a dozen 'poking their heads out' of the other. It has gone dark and cooler.

The one with a handful of bees has half a dozen dead bees in front from today, the other has a few dead wasps.

Any pearls of wisdom for me? I am really interested in the bees behaviour :)
Thanks

Just a quick question from a newbee. I have a handful of docile looking bees hanging around one of my hives and half a dozen 'poking their heads out' of the other. It has gone dark and cooler.

The one with a handful of bees has half a dozen dead bees in front from today, the other has a few dead wasps.

Any pearls of wisdom for me? I am really interested in the bees behaviour :)
Thanks

quite normal...bees are often outside at night, either fanning to cool the hive or evaporating nectar or crowded out by numbers

only worry if it is lots and they are very crowded, remeber when you look in half the bees at least are forageing, therefore can get quite full at night

allways allow them some room in the supers just to expand into at night

Thanks for reply, they have plenty of room in the super ( if only they would draw it out :) ) We put the varoa board in for the first time a few nights ago and it has been hotter here today. I guess this explains it. Do we need to take the varoa board out before we have finished monitoring the drop for fear of overheating the bees?

What size the entrance?

They all (well nearly all) had solid floors ten years or so ago. Most(?) trees have a relatively small entance. Should be no particular problem.

Regards, RAB

thanks Rab, put my mind at rest, i'll refrain from rushing out in my pyjamas to save them from roasting to death :)

thanks Rab, put my mind at rest, i'll refrain from rushing out in my pyjamas to save them from roasting to death :)

this year i ran a hive with wood blocking feed holes and varroa board in and one with mesh over feed holes and varroa board out...no difference in brood or honey , temps in the 30s for days...except the bees proplised the Mesh execept 5mm square hole in the porter escape hole in the crown board next to the wall and closed mesh on the central feed hole totally

Latest posts

Back