Bees on the ground/grass : Acarine?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Last checked hive 2 days ago. Now 100+ on the bricks I have beneath entrance, a lot dead but a few still wriggling. Plus,, maybe about 20 bees or more climbing on the grass just in front of bricks.

I’m thinking Acarine. Bees haemolymph being sucked out by the mites,-And zapping bees of their energy. Hence,the weakness,and unable to get back to hive?

Didn’t notice anything on thurs, so only been happening at least for 2 days. Acarine obviously been a problem before being noticed. But is the 100+ bees on ground a big problem- or still early enough to recover if treated?

Last checked hive 2 days ago. Now 100+ on the bricks I have beneath entrance, a lot dead but a few still wriggling. Plus,, maybe about 20 bees or more climbing on the grass just in front of bricks.

I’m thinking Acarine. Bees haemolymph being sucked out by the mites,-And zapping bees of their energy. Hence,the weakness,and unable to get back to hive?

Didn’t notice anything on thurs, so only been happening at least for 2 days. Acarine obviously been a problem before being noticed. But is the 100+ bees on ground a big problem- or still early enough to recover if treated?

Agree with Walrus
CBPV is becoming more common and I have lost two colonies to it, three years apart. Both in the same place at the end of the stands.
Look for shaking shivering bees not only on the ground but on the frames. You can get black shiny bees too. K wing is common too....the wings are dislocated and the bee can't fly.
Give them more room. The virus is supposedly not vectored by by varroa but a high mite load is a stressor, so treat for varroa.
There are drastic methods of removing the infected bees but they don't work.
If you have somewhere to move them then take them away and let them get on with it. They might survive.
Message fatshark......he knows all about CBPV

Since Thymol has been the mainstay of varroa treatment Acarine has all but disappeared

Look up Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus. There are two types. Could be that. I lost one colony to it this year.

Me too. Huge colony, locked in for long periods of June and reduced to a pile of dead and a few shivering bees. Something I hope not to see on a regular basis.

If bees are congested this virus spreads more rapidly as it enters the bee via broken bristles

"Both in the same place at the end of the stands" suggests drifting by infected bees, Not a good idea to keep hives in straight rows.

Last edited:
Sunday and today, no bees on the ground or grass..

Been readin about CBPV, it states I’d likely see a number on the ground each day. But I’ve not had any really for 2 days. And... I’ve not seen K-wing or hairless bees..

Ted hooper mentions spray poisoning - that CBPV can be confused with that... might they have been poisoned??

I’m inspecting tomorrow so will look closer.....

No more dead bees at entrance.

I’m thinking poisoning. Or read something about bad pollen from maybe buttercups.

Anyway, will continue to monitor.

Continue to monitor, CBPV can appear in waves.

Yep, one of my colonies on the second wave and now have to deal with wasps too. Doubt if they will survive.

Latest posts

Back