Bees on Laurel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not sure if anyone else has observed this behaviour, but in the last few days my bees have been taking sap from the underside of young Laurel leaves. There are no aphids present but there are always a pair of puncture marks in the area they are licking at. Any thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    369 KB · Views: 25
Not sure if anyone else has observed this behaviour, but in the last few days my bees have been taking sap from the underside of young Laurel leaves. There are no aphids present but there are always a pair of puncture marks in the area they are licking at. Any thoughts

Seen exactly the same on my cherry tree

Laurel has extra floral nectaries. Those little dots near the base of the leaf are where laurel produces nectar.

Yep, my bees are all over next door neighbour's £19,000 Italian imported laurel hedge. A bee every 50cm. Hope they are just road side! I think it is laurel which gives my honey a citrus tinge. Would like to know if anyone else has noticed this.

You can crush laurel leaves to anaesthetise bees and butterflies I wonder how the bees get round the cyanide laurel produces. Obviously it's not in the nectar

Thanks Taurus for the botany lesson, I wondered what those marks were. It would seem my bees are on the laurel and field beans at present so could be an interesting honey.
Thanks all

Latest posts

Back