Bees on farms / risk assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Looking for experience / knowledge please.
Just been offered a spot on a farm to put some bee hives. The area I’m planning on siting them is discreet along a hedge row and away from footpaths which the farmer is happy with.
This would be an ideal situation for me to deal with a couple of aggressive hives but was wondering what people do regards risk assessments etc.
Hives would not need fencing off or screening as out of the way & no livestock. I’ll just keep them strapped in case of badgers but haven’t seen signs of them in the area.
Thanks

Looking for experience / knowledge please.
Just been offered a spot on a farm to put some bee hives. The area I’m planning on siting them is discreet along a hedge row and away from footpaths which the farmer is happy with.
This would be an ideal situation for me to deal with a couple of aggressive hives but was wondering what people do regards risk assessments etc.
Hives would not need fencing off or screening as out of the way & no livestock. I’ll just keep them strapped in case of badgers but haven’t seen signs of them in the area.
Thanks
When you say deal with? Do you mean sort their aggression or do you mean find somewhere their aggression is more easily ignored?

Has the land owner asked for a RA.
Also find out if there is any public access allowed, any nearby bridle or footpaths.

What risks are you thinking of? Is there a footpath nearby? Do the farm hands go by? Or are you the only person who will be affected by their aggression? If the former two, you must requeen. If the latter, well, if you enjoy the drama of inspecting an aggressive hive, leave them as they are.

Has the land owner asked for a RA.
Also find out if there is any public access allowed, any nearby bridle or footpaths.
There is a footpath but no where near the hives would be and no real access. It’s a location that if you were there you went there on purpose and once there all you could do is turn round and go back (unless walking the perimeter of the field, which has no public access anyway)

The only query I can see is accessibility - can you get to them in a vehicle? If not I’d not personally want as an out apiary, kit & full supers need to be transported to & from site in a truck or car not a wheelbarrow or any other means.
As for aggressive hives, rather there than in a garden and if you’re happy to manage them crack on

I have such an out apiary exactly as you describe and more should have them. Never been asked for a RA and logically, there is no need for one.

The only query I can see is accessibility - can you get to them in a vehicle? If not I’d not personally want as an out apiary, kit & full supers need to be transported to & from site in a truck or car not a wheelbarrow or any other means.
As for aggressive hives, rather there than in a garden and if you’re happy to manage them crack on
Access is through the farmyard to access the field then as I have a Hilux pickup I can drive down the edge of the field right up to the hives. Farmer would only need to pass when tending the land ploughing, sowing, harvesting etc

We now have access agreements including risk assessments for all our apiaries.
Ensures there's no confusion or conflict.

Latest posts

Back