Bees on BBC2 two nights ago

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Just been watching that animal super senses thingummy that's on beeb 2. They were featuring smell and there was a small bit on bees and their reaction to pheremones - interesting at first - first queen pheremones then attack pheremone. They went to inspect an apiary of 'Africanised bees' in the mojave desert. What a lot of over dramatic tosh "wow! this is terrifying, they're swarming all over me!" HAd more agressive bees at Garn Cottage this morning!

yes, saw the same clip and thought the same asyou about the aggressiveness,

I would say about 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 and I have had an 11 in a feral swarm that went queenless, though they did follow for along way

Just been watching that animal super senses thingummy that's on beeb 2. They were featuring smell and there was a small bit on bees and their reaction to pheremones - interesting at first - first queen pheremones then attack pheremone. They went to inspect an apiary of 'Africanised bees' in the mojave desert. What a lot of over dramatic tosh "wow! this is terrifying, they're swarming all over me!" HAd more agressive bees at Garn Cottage this morning!

:iagree: Think I must have Africanised bees too. And he was happy to film without a veil, suit or gloves in front of 'ordinary' hives in the first part, before saying he had always been frightened of bees as he got suited up at the beginning of the 'killer' bee section. As you say, dramatic tosh, which sadly reveals what the script-writers/directors/presenters think of their audience.

There was a doc about Honey Badgers a while ago, see if you can find it and search for the part that shows the beekeeper climbing onto the frame he erected to keep his hives out of harm's way
That's aggressive behaviour!

There was a doc about Honey Badgers a while ago, see if you can find it and search for the part that shows the beekeeper climbing onto the frame he erected to keep his hives out of harm's way

yes... I saw that ... brilliant programme - honey badgers are THE most tenacious creatures I've ever seen ... keeping them off the bees was just something else ! Worth a watch if you can find it or it comes on TV again ...

I saw that too, brilliant.

what channel was it on?

Latest posts

Back