Bees not taking syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Listening to all advice as a newbie I have treated for varroa and have fed them with syrup.However--they are'nt interested so after leaving at for several days have removed it.
Also following both treatments there have been a large number of dead bees around. The queen is new to the hive--only went in late August.There is some brood but not a huge amount.
Your thoughts please?

Without knowing a lot more about the situation, there is not much one can say except that bees do die.

I would not expect them to take syrup if the box(es) were full, or if the syrup had started to seriously ferment.

A good number of healthy bees and the amount of stores are the most important things to aim for at this time of the year.

Do not worry about the amount of brood, this is normal but can depend on the queen. Most of mine currently have little brood/eggs but a couple have quite a bit.

What feeder are you using? Is the sun shining or is it snowing yet?

If you are using an Ashforth type you could try and trickle a little syrup onto the frames to let the bees know it is above them.

Or use a direct contact feeder, place straight onto the frames. Check it is correctly sealed before you tip the feeder up over a bucket and the vacuum is created before placing it onto the frames. Use an emty super as an eke.

Do not worry about the amount of brood, this is normal but can depend on the queen. Most of mine currently have little brood/eggs but a couple have quite a bit.

What feeder are you using? Is the sun shining or is it snowing yet?

If you are using an Ashforth type you could try and trickle a little syrup onto the frames to let the bees know it is above them.

Or use a direct contact feeder, place straight onto the frames. Check it is correctly sealed before you tip the feeder up over a bucket and the vacuum is created before placing it onto the frames. Use an emty super as an eke.

You may want to read this thread if not already if you follow this advice.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14055

Personally always better to put the contact feeder on a crown board directly above the feed hole.

Back