Bees not taking down invertbee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. In what I considered would be my penultimate syrup feed for the season I decided to change from home made sugar syrup to some invertbee. Previously the bees had been draining the syrup solution within a couple of days from a contact feeder, however now with a rapid feeder they have barely touched the invertbee after a similar timeframe. I remembered to dribble some down the core and when I checked there were a dozen or so bees lurking/sampling at the invertbee but the volume had barely changed. Have they had enough ? Decided not to like invertbee? Would prefer not to leave the feeder on well into winter if they are not going to take it down. Any light/advice to shed would be helpful. Cheers

The bees invert sugar syrup!
Why pay through the nose for inverted ?

The bees invert sugar syrup!
Why pay through the nose for inverted ?
Many reasons, most perfectly plausible, I don't call less than £1.00 a Kilo 'paying through the nose' either if you consider the other benefits

Has anyone done comparisons, regarding increased benefits to their own colonies ?

Has anyone done comparisons, regarding increased benefits to their own colonies ?
I was thinking of benefits to the beekeeper. Anyway, that's by the by, a discussion knocking the use of invert won't help the OP one bit with his issue

yes, a bit of the hedgerows are riddled with it, but didn't notice much activity from the hive. Just a handful or so fliers in and out.

yes, a bit of the hedgerows are riddled with it, but didn't notice much activity from the hive. Just a handful or so fliers in and out.
Not always do you get the intense forager traffic you see in a summer flow.
I wouldn't worry too much -leave the invert on for a while - they can take it down a lot later in the year than sugar syrup, just have a stock of fondant lined up in case they begin to feel a bit light after Christmas.

Not always do you get the intense forager traffic you see in a summer flow.
I wouldn't worry too much -leave the invert on for a while - they can take it down a lot later in the year than sugar syrup, just have a stock of fondant lined up in case they begin to feel a bit light after Christmas.
Cheers. Much appreciated.

Hi all. In what I considered would be my penultimate syrup feed for the season I decided to change from home made sugar syrup to some invertbee. Previously the bees had been draining the syrup solution within a couple of days from a contact feeder, however now with a rapid feeder they have barely touched the invertbee after a similar timeframe. I remembered to dribble some down the core and when I checked there were a dozen or so bees lurking/sampling at the invertbee but the volume had barely changed. Have they had enough ? Decided not to like invertbee? Would prefer not to leave the feeder on well into winter if they are not going to take it down. Any light/advice to shed would be helpful. Cheers
It might be that the weather has got that bit colder. Bees will take from a contact feeder if the weather is a bit cooler as they are nearer to it. They won't use a rapid feeder if they are not flying, although, I note that you say that the bees have gone up to the feed line. Heft the hive to estimate if it is full of stores or have a quick look, if it isn't too cold. You are much further south than I am so your ambient temp will be higher. If they still need it and still aren't taking it you could try the feed in the contact feeder, perhaps?
Good luck 🐝

It might be that the weather has got that bit colder. Bees will take from a contact feeder if the weather is a bit cooler as they are nearer to it.
I had the rapid feeder in a cobbled together insulation - around it and on top as I imagined they wouldn't want to head into a cold environment....

i have two colonies which arent taking down sugar syrup for some reason

English 6lt feeders...same apiary and climate and temperature feed as all neighbouring hives...trickled it through the hole a few times etc...lots of eggs and open brood and unfilled outer brood frames....odd

Latest posts

Back