Bees not flying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beelosser

Bee Loser
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have a poly nuc I have been overwintering. It had a young queen and seemed to be reasonably strong. My other hives have been busy over last few days but absolutely nothing coming out of nuc. I opened the roof and saw bees inside the fondant bag working away. It looked like there was still a decent colony. Bit confused!

Too early to open them, I know it's hard, but in a few weeks you'll be able to crack them open. If they have food you've done well you can.

each colony is different, I've worked all day sorting out two apiaries the last few days and it's amazing the different 'getting up days' of neighbouring colonies, some hardly stirring, don't panic yet.

Are your other hives wooden or poly, is the poly in the shade people forget poly insulation will work both ways.

My nucs are always last out and some days they don't come out when the larger colonies are out. Less bees to go around for all the tasks and keep the brood nest warm. I put my ear to the hive body when they are all in and you can hear them working to keep warm, which is reassuring.

Are your other hives wooden or poly, is the poly in the shade people forget poly insulation will work both ways.
Others are wood. All pretty much in same position

I have a poly nuc I have been overwintering. It had a young queen and seemed to be reasonably strong. My other hives have been busy over last few days but absolutely nothing coming out of nuc. I opened the roof and saw bees inside the fondant bag working away. It looked like there was still a decent colony. Bit confused!

What they all said.

I had a poly nuc that did this in October/November. Took a complete brood break, and didn't come out of the nuc for weeks on end, even when the other hives were flying like crazy. I was sure they were dying. But that nuc is now humming away and looking very strong. They have their funny moods from time to time.

Others are wood. All pretty much in same position
The wood will warm up faster and at this time you’ll probably find them ahead in brood rearing if you had like for like. Ian

Thanks all very reassuring. I wasn’t going to open them as didn’t see any point- I know they can reach the fondant. But it was frustrating, I will now spend less time standing outside the nuc willing something to happen- just wait and go with the flow

Check that the entrance is not blocked with dead bees. It happens! If it is then remove them with a stick, don't open the hive.

If you have a hive that mimics a tree i.e. insulated tunnel like entrance so its dark inside, you will find out it take a much more prolonged period of bright weather to coax them out. You might even think its only a tiny colony barely surviving until the first swarm comes roaring out. A lack of activity on the outside does not always reflect what is going on inside.

Check that the entrance is not blocked with dead bees. It happens! If it is then remove them with a stick, don't open the hive.
I checked that. Poked a big stick in through the mouse guard. Seemed clear

Latest posts

Back