Bees not clearing feeder!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Hi all,

I have a contact feeder with 2 litres of feed inside. I went to remove the feeder for a re-fill but found that the bees had only consumed half the feed. I had left the feeder there for five days and presumed they would have consumed all the feed and am worried that if they continue to take down the food so slowly I will not finish my feeding programme by the end of Sep. Would the space between the tops of the brood frames and the feeder created by an eke with apiguard in it have anything to do with the slow consumption?

Your assumption seems correct, having the Apiguard and feeding at the same time, will mean bees are distracted to clearing the Apiguard, or just keeping away from that area and hence the feed.

For what it is worth, my method is to remove supers, put Apiguard on in early to mid August when it is warmer for one week, then one to two weeks with a Miller type rapid feeder, then back to the second application of Apiguard.

Hopes this helps.

For what it is worth, my method is to remove supers, put Apiguard on in early to mid August when it is warmer for one week, then one to two weeks with a Miller type rapid feeder, then back to the second application of Apiguard.

Hopes this helps.

Would that not have a detrimental affect on the Apiguard treatment? I thought the idea of running it for a continuous 4 weeks was that it not only attacked the varroa that was already on bees, but also those mites that were due to emerge from cells. If you have a gap in the middle then others can move back into cells before the next treatment ?

Would that not have a detrimental affect on the Apiguard treatment? I thought the idea of running it for a continuous 4 weeks was that it not only attacked the varroa that was already on bees, but also those mites that were due to emerge from cells. If you have a gap in the middle then others can move back into cells before the next treatment ?

i agree if you are going to have a gap between the treatment. save your money and dont bother treating at all

Not an answer but my growing first year colonies stopped feeding when I added Apiguard has to make a choice after a couple of weeks feed or treat. For right or wrong I chose to feed as apiguard had been in for some time even though only partly cleared. Will treat with oxalyic acid later in year. Fingers crossed

Thanks Guys,

Apiguard has been in for four continuous weeks and will be taken out today.

Ben P

Ben, we appear on the same timescale, I am starting proper feeding today (well would have if not hissing down). I don't think you'll have a problem to get them fed-up starting now, indeed you would likely have limited space for your last brood cycles of the year had you gone earlier (I know depends on location - but you dont state where you are). With increasingly varying temperatures I would suggest thinking about an alternative to a contact feeder though - chances of it glugging out over the girls is increased.

Your assumption seems correct, having the Apiguard and feeding at the same time, will mean bees are distracted to clearing the Apiguard, or just keeping away from that area and hence the feed.

Hopes this helps.

Do not break the Apiguard treatment!

It needs to be continuous to cover the whole of a brood cycle. Otherwise all the varroa will hatch out the untreated half and lay in the just cleared half.

Ben.Pullen,
Only remove the 2nd Apiguard tray when it is empty, it does not HAVE to come off at the end of week 4.

You can feed while waiting for the bees to empty it without problems.:cheers2: Mike

Back