Bees nesting in hose reel!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anewkillerstar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I wonder if some people with knowledge of bees could help me. A few days ago I noticed that bees were coming out going from the small holes on my Hozelock garden hose reel (the irony being that we have a bee house not six feet away, but the hose reel seems to have been more suitable!). I love bees but they really have chosen pretty much the only item kept outside that we need to use regularly. Attached are a couple of photos I've tried to take of the bees (apologies for the poor quality, it is all I could get before the rain started). They aren't bumble bees, but I leave it to people with more experience to identify exactly what they are. They've used mud (?) to block up most of the holes and are now coming and going regularly. Looking through the main entrance, I can't see much in there but I'm worried that this will become a problem if they have now claimed the hose reel as their home ad infinitum.

Could someone in the know let me know whether this is temporary and if not if there's anything I can do to encourage them to move on? Killing is not an option I'd consider. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4369.JPG
    IMG_4369.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 73
Hello, I wonder if some people with knowledge of bees could help me. A few days ago I noticed that bees were coming out going from the small holes on my Hozelock garden hose reel (the irony being that we have a bee house not six feet away, but the hose reel seems to have been more suitable!). I love bees but they really have chosen pretty much the only item kept outside that we need to use regularly. Attached are a couple of photos I've tried to take of the bees (apologies for the poor quality, it is all I could get before the rain started). They aren't bumble bees, but I leave it to people with more experience to identify exactly what they are. They've used mud (?) to block up most of the holes and are now coming and going regularly. Looking through the main entrance, I can't see much in there but I'm worried that this will become a problem if they have now claimed the hose reel as their home ad infinitum.

Could someone in the know let me know whether this is temporary and if not if there's anything I can do to encourage them to move on? Killing is not an option I'd consider. Thanks in advance!

They're a species of solitary bee which don't live in colonies (although several may build nests close together so they might not appear so solitary). Females build a nest with mud, provision with pollen and eggs, seal it up and leave it. Once they've built it they will move on, hopefully to your insect house!

Have the same in our hoselock holes must be perfect size for them. They provision seal and then leave. We leave them to it. Not defensive and we don't get buzzed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the responses. Do you think they're only using the holes, not the interior of the unit where the reel actually is? That hadn't occurred to me if so. Do you think it's therefore possible to reel/unreel the hose without harming them?

I've been doing some reading on solitary bees now that I've been helped with identifying them - am I right in thinking they will hatch by spring next year but then won't be back?

Thanks for the responses. Do you think they're only using the holes, not the interior of the unit where the reel actually is? That hadn't occurred to me if so. Do you think it's therefore possible to reel/unreel the hose without harming them?

I've been doing some reading on solitary bees now that I've been helped with identifying them - am I right in thinking they will hatch by spring next year but then won't be back?

They'll only be using the holes and what you've read is correct. Other individuals may of course be tempted back next year.

Ours like the size and we have them every year as we do burrowing carpenter solitary bees. They don't object to the use of the hose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back