Bees left in Apidea’s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I have 5 Apidea’s which I have now transferred the mated queens from. I don’t need to raise any more queens right now. What is the best way of getting the bees in the Apedia into a hive? Shake them out in front of hives?
Thanks.

Yes shake them out. If you have them all in 1 spot you could leave a nuc there to collect flyers.

Some will return to the old spots so remove all evidence. I used to unite all to a nuc that I was introducing queen to with the last batch.

Great leave those frames out like that in the autumn and there’s a wasp and robber smorgasbord.
This is a video from a member of this forum @beekeeping4you who hasn't been active since January 2019. The intention is not to leave the frames out any length of time but to incorporate them into a nuc as can be seen and the description states not to get them chilled. I have seen many examples of caged queens being left out in the open and attracting bees, making artificial swarms.

I have 5 Apidea’s which I have now transferred the mated queens from. I don’t need to raise any more queens right now. What is the best way of getting the bees in the Apedia into a hive? Shake them out in front of hives?
Thanks.
If they are fairly close to other hives, I would move them a little bit per day or in stages - you have 3 weeks after the queen has gone elsewhere to do this before the brood has emerged. Then I would shake out - moving them avoids any potential loss of bees. Maximum efficiency!
But then I am a cheapskate and don;t like waste!

If they are fairly close to other hives, I would move them a little bit per day or in stages - you have 3 weeks after the queen has gone elsewhere to do this before the brood has emerged. Then I would shake out - moving them avoids any potential loss of bees. Maximum efficiency!
But then I am a cheapskate and don;t like waste!
Thanks, that would work, they are close.

Latest posts

Back