bees in the super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
can any one tell me how to encourage my bees in to the super.
i got a 6 frame nuc at the end of may wich i transfered to a national 11 frames 1 dummy board(this is my first hive)wich i then fed them i reckon about 10 litres of syrup. when i inspected them about 3 weeks ago it was full of bees all the frames drawn out,about 6 frames with brood different stages at least 2 full frames of capped honey and they were building comb all over tops of frames in to the QE that i had between BB and feeding eke.so i removed feeder and put on a super left the QE above BB but the bees dont appear to be interested in going up in to the super at all

I assume the super is undrawn foundation , give it a spray of sugar syrup & take away the queen excluder until they get it going

Mine didn't show any interest in going upstairs until I put a feeder on top & spilled some syrup down the hole to show them what was up there.
They are now drawing out all of the frames I put in.

:iagree:
Don't need much syrup in the feeder though, just enough to get them going drawing comb. One thing though this is the end of the season and the nectar flow may be dying off and the queen slowing her laying down so maybe you won't need the extra space 'til next year.I'm sure someone with far superior knowledge than me not worthy will put us all right shortly:D

Is it one of those defective queen excluders with the slots too small?

Apart from that, what have your bees got in the way of income to be working in the supers? Mine need a few acres of oilseed rape.

no the QE is ok as i have seen a few bees past it but you are prob right it is a bit too late now for them to want to draw out any comb its just that 3 weeks ago when i added the super the BB looked fit to burst.

None of my colonies will cross a QX for foundation. I need to remove the QX until they start to draw it out.

Latest posts

Back