• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bees in the North

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anybody know of Bee suppliers in the North of England? Buying a nucleus means collection, normally way down down south. Thanks!!!:)

Not really the time of year to be buying a nucleus. I doubt if anyone would be selling one this late in the year. :cheers2:

Not really the time of year to be buying a nucleus. I doubt if anyone would be selling one this late in the year. :cheers2:

Apparently Omlet are.

:svengo:

North of England?

That could be from the Scottish borders to South of Sheffield, 150 miles as the bee flies or 50 quids worth of petrol.

Join a local association and you might get your bees for free or at a lower price than commercial suppliers. In addition the bees might be much more suited to your local area than getting a queen bred a thousand miles away, chucked in a box with 'local bees' and a few sheets of foundation somewhere down south and then sold at vast profit to punters with more money than sense.

Black Northern Bees in the south

North of England?

That could be from the Scottish borders to South of Sheffield, 150 miles as the bee flies or 50 quids worth of petrol.

Get a Diesel, 60 mpg on the motorway 140BHP VW golf cuts the cost down to £25

Anyway, trusting no one in goverment especial the Meto office with their Global Warming 20c rise in temperature prediction by 2060

How well do Black Bees do, south of watford ( they are fromPerth Scotland) ... because my Brother in law has offered a nuc of black bees in return for a nuc of my soft Carnolion southern bees or will my honey yield drop

The carnolion are very prolific in London, Might want to hedge my bets if the weather turns Cold in the next decade as some Solar physists like piers Corbyn predict ( Dalton Sun spot minimum)

Try Alnwick beekeepers,
far enough north?

John Wilkinson

The carnolion are very prolific in London

Prolific in brood rearing yes,prolific as in collecting honey no.
I have found that they are great for expansion but not very good at bringing home the bacon.

Anyone agree?

Mine seem to have done well but that could just be down to the vast amounts of balsom we have. :cheers2:

I agree,the worst honey getters i have ever come across,buckfast strains run rings round them,perhaps mine are just lazy,but not when it comes to brooding.

Mickle still not clear where 'up North' you are. There are options, share your location please. R

Bees up north

I too live in the north of England and have struggled to get "local" bees.I live in Skipton North Yorkshire and neither of my local BKA could help me with a swarm over the summer months.Anyone got any ideas as to where I can get some bees for next year?

Welcome to the forum Wag. You could ask Jimbeekeeper,he is a forum member who is up your way,and makes up a few nuc's in spring.

Sorry for late reply. Snowy North Yorkshire.

Latest posts

Back