Bees in school

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i learnt beekeeping at the age of 7 at a village school and got a scouts beekeeping badge at 11 along with a few other scouts in my village and a local primary schoool has two national hives

I think a warre in school will lead to a nightmare situations being a non intervention hive that is more prone to swarm .I would only recvommned an experence beekeeperwho can read his bees look after a warre in a scholl
who is going to nadir the honey boxes of the warre, have you every lifted three full warre boxes stuck together?, remeber a proper warree has no frames and you cannot easily spilt a warre boxes without cutting through comb and angry bees evertwhere
The reason National Hives are, "unmanageable" in the circumstances I have described is that there are no qualified beekeepers on the staff.

well i learnt beekeeping at the age of 7 at a village school and got a scouts beekeeping badge at 11 along with a few other scouts in my village and a local primary schoool has two national hives

I think a warre in school will lead to a nightmare situations being a non intervention hive that is more prone to swarm .I would only recvommned an experence beekeeperwho can read his bees look after a warre in a scholl
who is going to nadir the honey boxes of the warre, have you every lifted three full warre boxes stuck together?, remeber a proper warree has no frames and you cannot easily spilt a warre boxes without cutting through comb and angry bees evertwhere
I have a lifting device which lifts all the boxes together do it's a simple matter to add a box.

Primary schools do not normally have the expertise or equipment to do woodwork.
I make all my own equipment except excluders, mesh floors and foundation so I understand exactly what is involved.
I am not the originator of this project. As I said, I was asked about making equipment but I don't want to be involved in something which will be mired in bureaucracy or of little educational value.

I don't think it precludes National hives - rather it precludes keeping any hive inless there's a beekeeper to look after them

(they don't mention that this only applies to Nationals - it's for all hives)

Occasionally yes, but that's the point - I try my best to avoid swarming by regular inspections and A/S manipulstions when needs be - I don't just leave my hives to do what they will.

You'll have to show us all how you train them to do that. Do you have enough empty hives around for the cast then colt swarms as well? :)

Is sarcasm necessary or helpful?

The reason National Hives are, "unmanageable" in the circumstances I have described is that there are no qualified beekeepers on the staff.

Thus if you follow the guidelines there shouldn't be a hive of any type on site.

Is sarcasm necessary or helpful?

Neither is a glib comment like
My Warre swarms usually end up in an adjacent empty hive. So do swarms from my Nationals

Which engenderd the comment to begin with.

Latest posts

Back