Bees in school

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyfareddol

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been asked to make equipment for beekeeping at a local primary/junior school.
I have read the BBKA recommendations for beekeeping in schools and for several reasons I don't think our schools could manage bees in National Hives.

I think they could have a Warre hive within the enclosure recommended by BBKA, i.e. two metre high bee proof mesh. If the hive were sited close to the mesh it would be possible to observe the bees through the inspection windows, which could be opened by untrained staff, see bees on comb and comings and goings at the hive entrance.
The schools do not have beekeepers on their staff and the sites are almost deserted outside term time. Warre hives would require the minimum of attention, the inevitable swarms would be an interesting part of the project and they, and the annual (hopefully) honey harvest, could be managed by visiting local beekeepers.
I don't think the school could involve their pupils in any management of the bees, it would be observation from a safe place only.
I wonder what, if anything, the participants will gain from this?
Does anyone have experience of apiaries in Primary and Junior Schools?

Why are Nationals unsuitable? warres are an abomination and I think leaving hives to swarm willy nilly especially at a school is irresponsible to say the least.
You can put observation windows in any hive, just takes a bit of thought.
And having 'untrained' staff opening up for them sounds a bit reckless as well I'd say - H&S would have a field day.
Personally I don't think the participants would benefit greatly from this.
If you are talking about the school observing from a distance while they are managed by beekeepers then just go for a conventional moveable frame setup - much better all round

Last edited:
But what an opportunity to get an 'after school' bee keeping club ' going.
2 National hives, a qualified bee keeper, and tuition.
What on earth is not manageable about a National.

I have been asked to make equipment for beekeeping at a local primary/junior school.
I have read the BBKA recommendations for beekeeping in schools and for several reasons I don't think our schools could manage bees in National Hives.

I think they could have a Warre hive within the enclosure recommended by BBKA, i.e. two metre high bee proof mesh. If the hive were sited close to the mesh it would be possible to observe the bees through the inspection windows, which could be opened by untrained staff, see bees on comb and comings and goings at the hive entrance.
The schools do not have beekeepers on their staff and the sites are almost deserted outside term time. Warre hives would require the minimum of attention, the inevitable swarms would be an interesting part of the project and they, and the annual (hopefully) honey harvest, could be managed by visiting local beekeepers.
I don't think the school could involve their pupils in any management of the bees, it would be observation from a safe place only.
I wonder what, if anything, the participants will gain from this?
Does anyone have experience of apiaries in Primary and Junior Schools?

well i learnt beekeeping at the age of 7 at a village school and got a scouts beekeeping badge at 11 along with a few other scouts in my village and a local primary schoool has two national hives

I think a warre in school will lead to a nightmare situations being a non intervention hive that is more prone to swarm .I would only recvommned an experence beekeeperwho can read his bees look after a warre in a scholl
who is going to nadir the honey boxes of the warre, have you every lifted three full warre boxes stuck together?, remeber a proper warree has no frames and you cannot easily spilt a warre boxes without cutting through comb and angry bees evertwhere

Last edited:
A good woodworking project for the kids, something not seen in schools these days. I you have funding perhaps It would be wise to get the teacher and a few kids trained at a local association first to start the ball rolling. Stick with nationals they are not that difficult to make and plenty of free plans available

I started with a Warre hive. I was impressed by the book, Beekeeping For All, that I downloaded for free from the internet. Written by Abbe Warre and translated by Patricia and David Heaf. David Heaf has videos on You Tube and a web page that has taught me everything I know about beekeeping.
The hive are easy to make as Abbey Warre was a French man, his countrymen had put to death the rich and felt that everyone should be able to enjoy keeping bees, not just a selfish, stuck up, self opinionated and greedy, few.
Children today, are not allowed to do anything, (playing conkers is one) that might harm them in anyway. I am not sure why this is. It could be H.A.S. or lack of money or lack of anyone wanting to take the time. Or that people in charge are skimming off the money for other things rather than actually giving it to the education of children. (I have seen this first hand.)
They are not shown how to cook, use wood, use mettle, in fact up until lately they didn't know where an egg came from. With the vast amount of money spent on education, we still can't get them to read and say the 10 x table.
I would recommend a Warre for the very reasons you have stated in your question.
It would be a great project, but you would be up against a lot of people who would appose the idea. Such a shame, that children cannot be exposed to more wonderful things than the latest computer games.
It is my hope that they will go on You Tube and find out from wonderful people all over the world, who show how (and are so lovely with it), to have amazing hobbies.
Some of the instructors are actually children. One shows how to make a table saw!

Let them have access to the videos and start by keeping chickens. Chicken feeding monitor.
I don't know why my letters have got smaller.

Last edited:
Well on paper it sounds like a good idea but why would a school want to do it without management of the hives in place, a warre hive could be no more of a problem than a national but then it comes down to management of the hive, I think a swarm or two could be a great learning experience for the children, I can just imagine the calls the school will get from overprotective and panicked parents once the idea gets out.

I would love some local schools to take up the idea of teaching kids about bees by having a hive or two at their schools and would even offer to manage them but based on the panicked calls I get from schools that have a bumblebee nest or wasp nest on the premisses each year I can't really see many taking it up!

Where abouts in Wales are you?

I'm doing something similar with our local scout group.
I set up an apiary, 3 colonies in 14 x 12 BN's, last year in our rectory's old veg garden, which scouts laid out as a wild flower meadow. Site is open to the public and local schools but tucked away from view. Hands on this year, after one of the adults completes our begeinners course??
Managed to get 3 new suits donated from a failed project, funding ran out for the postion held by the beek. Also been promised some funding by our local councillors, not materialised yet..

Also, along with several other interested pollinator friendly groups, we are also involved with 4 LA's, 1 community farm, and 5 college campus, however we have insisted that at least 1 member of staff at each site is trained and that colonies are managed. Also that the colonies are in a secure area to "protect" the bees and the public.

Nobody from Wales seems to have mentioned the "Nature Fund" WAG are providing?
The 4 La's we're involved with appear to have been awarded £300+k, less than half requested. However most of this is likely to be gobbled up in admin and infrustructure, retraining the grass cutters etc to cut a few inches higher and less often, with little going to the pollinators? Oh well!
There's also an emphsis on "incredible Edibles", it'll be interesting when someone dips into one of the hive for some free honey!!

Best of luck.

I have kept bees in the headmasters garden at the school where I work for a couple of years and have had the boys (8 to 12 years old) around the hive with no problem. The most important thing is making them feel safe, they all wear full suits and are behind a net. If I want to show them something I take the frame to them. I always have a teacher with me and they are responsible for the children, leaving me to look after the bees.

My only word of caution is about school politics, they can turn on a sixpence. If you can get them to agree a five year plan all the better. I had one school where the driving force that wanted the bees left and I was told to remove them within a few months, the bees had only been there a year.

Mike

Why are Nationals unsuitable? warres are an abomination and I think leaving hives to swarm willy nilly especially at a school is irresponsible to say the least.
You can put observation windows in any hive, just takes a bit of thought.
And having 'untrained' staff opening up for them sounds a bit reckless as well I'd say - H&S would have a field day.
Personally I don't think the participants would benefit greatly from this.
If you are talking about the school observing from a distance while they are managed by beekeepers then just go for a conventional moveable frame setup - much better all round
Have you read the BBKA document on beekeeping in schools?
I think it precludes keeping bees in Nationals in a pre- secondary school where there is not a qualified beekeeper on the staff.
I agree it is possible to put windows in any hive, I have done it.
"And having 'untrained' staff opening up for them sounds a bit reckless as well I'd say - H&S would have a field day."
I agree but did I say anything about "opening up".
"leaving hives to swarm willy nilly especially at a school is irresponsible to say the least."
Do you never have a swarm from your Nationals? My Warre swarms usually end up in an adjacent empty hive. So do swarms from my Nationals
Schools in rural areas sometimes have swarms on the premises. Like everyone else they ask a beekeeper to take them away.
The windows on a Warre hive can be opened without drama. In seven years I have opened mine frequently to see what's happening and show visitors.

I think that a Warre hive would be the best hive for this situation, one with windows in, so they can view what the bees are doing inside.

The hive are easy to make as Abbey Warre was a French man, his countrymen had put to death the rich and felt that everyone should be able to enjoy keeping bees, not just a selfish, stuck up, self opinionated and greedy, few
Yes, I've seen all those paintings of king Louis and Marie Antoinette parading around with their hand crafted Charles cressent Dadant hives sneering at the Hoi polloi with their cheap straw skeps.

I think that a Warre hive would be the best hive for this situation, one with windows in, so they can view what the bees are doing inside.

could always have an all glass hive with an easily closable door - only to be opened when the kids aren't in school

Last edited:
Have you read the BBKA document on beekeeping in schools?
I think it precludes keeping bees in Nationals in a pre- secondary school where there is not a qualified beekeeper on the staff.
I don't think it precludes National hives - rather it precludes keeping any hive inless there's a beekeeper to look after them

Caring for them is not a casual activity and the
constant support of an experienced beekeeper, preferably a staff member, is essential for the welfare
of both bees and humans
(they don't mention that this only applies to Nationals - it's for all hives)

Do you never have a swarm from your Nationals?

Occasionally yes, but that's the point - I try my best to avoid swarming by regular inspections and A/S manipulstions when needs be - I don't just leave my hives to do what they will.

My Warre swarms usually end up in an adjacent empty hive. So do swarms from my Nationals
You'll have to show us all how you train them to do that. Do you have enough empty hives around for the cast then colt swarms as well? :)

But what an opportunity to get an 'after school' bee keeping club ' going.
2 National hives, a qualified bee keeper, and tuition.
What on earth is not manageable about a National.
The reason National Hives are, "unmanageable" in the circumstances I have described is that there are no qualified beekeepers on the staff.

Latest posts

Back