Bees in sawdust

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toplever

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had about 20 bees foraging about on the surface of a small pile of wet sawdust outside my workshop the other day, following a rainstorm previous day. They kept coming and going all morning. Plenty of water about - water butts and a beck in the garden so probably not after water. Not my bees as they were more yellow than mine. Any ideas on what they were after?

Had about 20 bees foraging about on the surface of a small pile of wet sawdust outside my workshop the other day, following a rainstorm previous day. They kept coming and going all morning. Plenty of water about - water butts and a beck in the garden so probably not after water. Not my bees as they were more yellow than mine. Any ideas on what they were after?

Which of these water sources will be warmer than the rest?

I have a small pond, but they still prefer grubby damp areas. Never twigged re temperature before, but thought safety issue. Always thought provoking, this forum...

But..... They do like wood shavings, if I use the chain saw I always have bees in the shavings within minutes! The moisture in the wood probably and the sweet smell of the wood too!

another way to look at it, bees seem to rely on instinct (smoke) etc, so maybe wood shavings/sawdust is something from nesting in rotten trees/logs ??
some top bar users, have a layer of sawdust in bottom of hive that supports other living insects that eat varroa, maybe theres something in that idea?

Carpenter bees maybe ? I got called to do a wasps nest and they had me confused for a while

Latest posts

Back