Bees in Paris

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
It was a few weeks ago when this appeared but I've only just come across it: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article6799673.ece

The article is about bees in Paris and the increase in people keeping bees.

Interesting that the French insist on the hives being registered (though not all are, these are the French after all) and insist on things like a 2m high screen unless the hive is on a tall building. Also, the bees do better than the ones in the country, which is the general experience in London.

I think regisration fee will come here.
One of the prime objectives of the £10m funding was to log all apiaries.
Once they are all logged, don't be surprised to have to pay for your bee inspector's visit or an annual licence.
It's the way governments think.

I think regisration fee will come here.
One of the prime objectives of the £10m funding was to log all apiaries.
Once they are all logged, don't be surprised to have to pay for your bee inspector's visit or an annual licence. It's the way governments think.

I hope we do have to pay for a license, as by way of comparison, you no longer need to pay for an amateur radio license, which is a government controlled hobby.

Why?

Steve

not sure on the paying part but I do agree on keepers being licensed (in the same way some other livestock is run), its clearly important to know who is doing what and when and for keepers to be accountable - before the usual crowd jump on me, I am aware of keepers who by their actions have placed everyone’s colonies at risk through movements and imports

Last edited:
Lets have a few bumper years and get loads of 'feral' colonies going around the place.

Who exactly is going to license those? BTW, I hate that term 'feral'. The bees were around a long time before we were, and have every right to roam 'free'. It is us humans who have removed or spoiled their habitat and environment.

The dog patrols may go round catching loose pets. What will they do about loose bees?

What about people who put out bumble bee nests, or those who harbour wasp nests?

Once again, here we have people or taxes being more important than our natural fauna.

I agree bee diseases are a problem but licensing is not the answer, just an excuse for taxation.

RAB

I can see the BBKA being strongly in favour of registration.
Seeing as it is them? that would be getting the goverment budget to keep records of us.

Just think how important they would feel..

Is it time we dumped a load of imported supermarket honey into a suitable harbour?

:patriot:

PS I'm all for controlling those who move colonies all over the country moving their bee diseases into gods own county

I can see the BBKA being strongly in favour of registration.
Seeing as it is them? that would be getting the goverment budget to keep records of us.

Just think how important they would feel..

But on the heels of registration comes licensing, so we'd be providing the budget. And then when some chavs throw stones at one of your hives and get stung and complain to the authorities - the poor, innocent, good-hearted lads that they are - you'll get your licence revoked so no more bees for you. It's the thin edge of a dubious wedge.

Steve

...and the result will be as in every other case of licensing, it'll just go 'underground'. No longer will beeks be asking for a friendly visit from their bee inspector to 'clarify' an issue with their hive, local honey prices will rise in proportion to those giving up beekeeping through the saturation of 'red tape' and the unscrupulous will take advantage, reporting nothing and spreading disease, honey 'blends' and bad practice like the proverbial plague. Encouraging best practice is the only way forward. Pride and satisfaction in producing the best honey in the world (and therefore supporting a viable price) should be the goal of all beekeepers and those who are supposed to work for the wellbeing of all.

Fera is part of Defra - maybe it is Defra?
Anyway, if you look at the mess Defra have made of running the agricultural industry (and at times it has been a big mess) then if this happens we can only hold out breath and hope.

I totally disagree with the prospect of licencing. We don't need it, it isn't necessary and is another level of needless burocracy and legislation run by shadowy mandarins in whitehall.

NO NEED !!!!!!

The problem with licensing isnt so much the license, but far more the enforcement.

At present we have a form of voluntary licensing ie registration of your aipary on beebase. Now lets make a few assumptions. If licensing were to become compulsory then the body responsible is likely to be bee inspectorate not the BBKA, realistically this makes it as near as impossible to enforce. The inspecors are busy enough as it is without having to scour the countryside looking in the corners of fields or indeed town checking balconies and rooftops looking for rogue hives.

The only way i could see it ever working would be if to make it that your "registration/ license" fee came with an incentive such as a goverment underwritten insurance policy along with making it compulsory to include your license number on honey labels. This move alone could possibly help to promote the benefits of genuine local honey, whilst assuring the public that it has been produced following best practice.

Im not saying I agree with licensing just pointing out ways it could maybe work for the best.

Or they could run it like 'elf & safety and leave you to it.
Only visiting/taking action if and when something happens, at which point you would have to produce all your paperwork and go through all the hoops.

Latest posts

Back