Bees in garage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcahilltcbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys and girls.
So over the past few days i have had a couple of honey bees in the kitchen. Gently guided back outdoors. Just today i have noticed 'activity' in my garage eves. At first i thought great wasps! On closer inspection they are honey bees. Now i am not going to call pest control out for bees in a thousand years (one of my pet hates) .
But the Q is where do we go from here? At the moment there is on average two to four coming and going every 60 seconds. Not the same bee as they passed each other lol. The garage is in the middle of the garden, only centimetres away from where my dogs and child play and i am worried about them getting aggravated plus i nneed to use the garage lol.
I have rang a local beekeeper who suggests these are bumblebees but the 2 section wasp type shape would suggest different. (They do have a bit of fur)
Question is will a bee keeper come as it isn't a swarm? I am in Blackpool. I DO NOT want them killing as they are not wasps but on the same hand i don't think this hustle bustle garden will suit them without getting them mad in time.
Help 😐

The best i can do when one landed on a near by fence...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190516-155656_Video Player-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190516-155656_Video Player-01.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 138
It looks like a mason bee but i thought these were solitary? There is definitely more than one!

Well they dont seem a threat...i went for a closer look and one popped out less then a foot from me face and just went about its own business 🙄

In that case cherish them, as I expect you know, they are important pollinators and are no threat.

There was a queen wasp sniffing around the area near the bees yesterday evening though. Do wasps pose a threat to them? If so how can i get rid? I already have fake nests up everywhere.

Hope, no threat to the bees. A cheap wasp trap. Cut the tapered top off a plastic bottle, take the lid off it first! invert it and stick the outsides together. Pour about an inch of the highest alcohol cider you can find in the bottle. I am up to 50 queen wasps and still counting. I do expect others to say there is no need but others got bit badly last autumn so needs must!
By the way thanks for asking about the bees before you took action. Full credit
E

Thanks Enrico.
I do love bees even if they are a phobia (dont ask me how that works) .
This is my resident bee who comes in the house daily. Several times a day just to be gently evicted again :serenade: So today i thought he/she could do me a kindness of a photoshoot before been sent home! This is not the same bees as the garage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190517-135200_Gallery-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190517-135200_Gallery-01.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Enrico.
I do love bees even if they are a phobia (dont ask me how that works) .
This is my resident bee who comes in the house daily. Several times a day just to be gently evicted again :serenade: So today i thought he/she could do me a kindness of a photoshoot before been sent home! This is not the same bees as the garage

I think that's a hoverfly - Batesian mimicry in action!

hi i have s large number of bees going in and out of my garage, we have a pit that my husband filled in with rubble and then covered with wood. the bees do not seem aggressive. we thought they were masonry bees until we found out they are solitary. can someone please identify these for me. 66FF2783-B473-443D-8466-C2064426A1A8.jpeg

6AC2C9A8-E991-49C0-B3D0-2C23B5089CB9.jpeg

Osmia bicornis - red mason bees are solitary bees but in suitable places they will happily nest together but that's as far as the interaction goes. Each will construct and tend her own nest alone. They use existing holes and do not excavate so will not damage your structure. For more information on Osmia bicornis check out this info sheet from the BWARS website - https://bwars.com/sites/www.bwars.com/files/info_sheets/04_Osmia_bicornis_20120321.pdf

Latest posts

Back