Bees in Art

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A half-share in 6...ish
We took a weekend trip to London and, rather than shiver in the streets (and worry about starving bees), spent an hour or two in the National Gallery. I have very limited knowledge of fine art, and wandered around somewhat randomly, over-awed by all that magnificence. Eventually I took a more detailed look at a few, chosen pretty much at random. I could barely believe it when the first three I chose turned out to be:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/about-us/lucas-cranach-the-elder-cupid-complaining-to-venus

Lucas Cranach the Elder, 'Cupid complaining to Venus'

"Cupid complains to Venus that he has been stung by bees. He holds in his hand the honeycomb that has been stolen from them. The Latin verses in the upper right point up the moral message in this picture that life’s brief pleasure is mixed with pain"

---

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/bronzino-an-allegory-with-venus-and-cupid

Bronzino, An Allegory with Venus and Cupid

This includes a young girl holding a handful of honeycomb to symbolise "plenty"

---

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/niccolo-dellabate-the-death-of-eurydice

Niccolò dell'Abate, The Death of Eurydice

"Aristaeus consults his mother Cyrene concerning the death of his bees. On the extreme right is the sea-god Proteus who explained to Aristaeus that the disaster in the hives was a punishment for the pursuit of Eurydice"

---

Beginners luck? Are there other notable examples?

David

"Aristaeus consults his mother Cyrene concerning the death of his bees. On the extreme right is the sea-god Proteus who explained to Aristaeus that the disaster in the hives was a punishment for the pursuit of Eurydice"

This forum has certainly seen a lot of different excuses for a dead hive.

But asking your mum, and then having a sea-god tell everyone that it was all to punish you for what happened in the Taverna last Friday night ... well, that's a new one on me.
If not on JenkinsBM.

And I bet Finman doesn't believe that's the real reason, maintaining that there's not much difference between the climates of Finland and mythical ancient Greece.
Victor Meldrew doubtless would remark on the inadequacy of the protective clothing being worn by all of these supposedly experienced beekeepers.
Several people would point out that they had serpents just like that in the Dordogne, while Luminos would deny ever having had any such trouble with shepherds.
Of course o90o would delphically urge us all to "think about it."

And eventually someone would post that they too had once had a problem with a sea-god, but that there had been absolutely no reason for it whatever.

Would all those semi clad ladies in floaty skirts be "natural beeminders"......

or did a previous recession cut so deep as to deny the ancient Greeks clothing?

And eventually someone would post that they too had once had a problem with a sea-god, but that there had been absolutely no reason for it whatever.

That'll be Jenkinsmaybriar then... Neptune was a bit miffed with him for chucking an anchor into one of his best scallop grounds!!

Au contraire, I've had to warn that Aristaeus off my sheep on more than one occasion :toetap05:

Latest posts

Back