Bees ignoring sugar feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one bee one

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have recently bought a fully occupied hive and a Nuc, which I have transferred to another hive- 6 frame. I have given both hives sugar water however the bees from the Nucleus hive are ignoring it, they aren’t interested in the small feeder either.
Both hives are very active and I have watched them coming in and out with pollen filled legs but I am puzzled as to why the Nuc hive aren’t interested in the sugar water whereas the others in the other hive have tucked in.
They are situated in a more shaded area but as I said they are just as active. Any suggestions as to why they are ignoring the feed?

Both hives are very active and I have watched them coming in and out with pollen filled legs

That's your answer.
There should be no need to feed by now.

Your big hive is taking the syrup because they are opportunists.
Be careful, they will store the syrup, your queen will have nowhere to lay and they will swarm.
You also run the risk of watering down any honey with syrup when the bees move it into your supers

JBM is right. They don't need it

Shaded area is not good to hives. They shoud be at least half day in open sun.
If you have 6 frames, it should have sugar/honey one whole frame, but no more.
Then in whole box need stores 2 frames. More stores limits valuable brood space in a small colony.
They store lots of pollen too in spring.

Open the hives and look inside and learn, what is going there.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies. Will relocate the hive and stop the feeding, and see how they go

I think the message needs repeating. A lot of posts containing feeding issues, Autumn feeding, Winter so fondant needed, time for Spring feed. Bees only need feeding if they are low on stores. They are now bringing in both pollen and nectar.

I think the message needs repeating. A lot of posts containing feeding issues, Autumn feeding, Winter so fondant needed, time for Spring feed. Bees only need feeding if they are low on stores. They are now bringing in both pollen and nectar.

:yeahthat::iagree:

Many thanks for your replies. Will relocate the hive and stop the feeding, and see how they go

If you are moving don't forget 3 feet no more every few days or take it three miles away ( i.e. Outside foraging distance) for a fortnight before bringing it back

Latest posts

Back