Bees hanging under hive - suggestions?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeJones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, I've just rehived my new bees from a nuc. All the flying bees have now left the nuc and entered the hive - but some (about two handfulls) are hell bent on handing under the open mesh floor. They are being feed through the floor by workers. I'm worried that if I leave them over night they'll perish. Does anyone have any suggestions - or shall I just leave them be(e). Thanks

Brush them off into a box and tip them into the hive. How exactly did you transfer them into the brood box

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've done that and all fine now. Actually, it was only about 30 bees.

I had the nuc infront of the hive all day yesterday - the bees where flying no problem. This morning I transfered the frames into the hive and moved the nuc a foot to the left infront of the hive. Apart from the 30, all the flying bees found their way to the hive. The nuc is now empty.

This is my second colony, my first wasn't a success. The queen layed but the eggs didn't hatch. They were at my local teaching apiary - the concensus was that she wasn't mated properly. I've put my new colony in the nursery behind my house - just a hop over the fence. Fingers crossed I will be more successful this year.

Latest posts

Back