Bees gathering around entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjsewell

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

As a new bee keeper I have one colony which was bought as a nucleus last year in July. The colony has survived the winter and appears strong. I have noticed the last couple of days that there is always a small gathering of 50+ bees around one side or other f the entrance. Last night they were there all night long. I have a brood box with one super on at the moment. Is this a prelude to swarming or are they trying to tell me they need more room? Any help appreciated

Pete

Normally that is a sign that mpre room quickly. Better to look if they have started to build queen cells.

If hive has much emerging brood frames, that means that the hive is growing quickly. So I use to put a new box over the brood box and under the brood.

Important is that they get no idea to start swarming.

In these days it is worth to follow how beed gather pollen and how much it takes room from the hive. It limits the brood area or they store it into super. So better to give another brood box.

Last edited:
I lost a swarm last year after mine bearded. I would be looking very carefully for queen cells. If you find them and have spare kit, do artificial swarm. If you are confident there are no queen cells I would follow Finman's advice, however, as loads of bees should mean loads of honey. Lucky you!

advice on 'bearding'

Hi Guys

Thanks everso for the advice. I have given the bees a brood and a half and put a super on top as well. I think the hive has gone mad. I found one queen cell and destroyed it as well as a couple of queen cups. I thought they might have settled down but no such luck. I have not managed to find the queen yet but there were full grown grubs as well as eggs in the hive. There were quite a few drone cells and some emerged drone in evidence on the outside of the hive today. I am not familiar with an artificial swarm but will read up about it.

I will give them a few days to settle before opening them up again.

Pete

Nice one Pete,it sounds like you are top of them.
I would agree it may be an idea to read up on artificial swarming so you are ready.

Back