• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bees for free - Yorkshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the private message I am trying to get back in touch just need a couple mor posts

Your pm service is now active! Free bees update as per my response. Regards R

Just wondered what you use to bait your bait hive with as i'm in need of some more bees (DLQ & Q- hives) but I think you're a bit too far for me to travel so wondered about setting up a bait hive! Any tips you'd care to share?

Laura

hi Laura

i use lemongrass oil. A new swarm arrived into a nuc box i had baited with it in my garden on Saturday afternoon. Easiest swarm ever!

thanks Gower - do you just drip the oil onto frames with foundation/drawn comb? that seems too easy!

yes, a few drops on the top bars and around the entrance will do it, plus they seem to prever grotty, used foundation for some reason, the sort which you might have removed as part of routine hive management - dont throw it away, save it for this/ next years bait hives....

they seem to prever grotty, used foundation for some reason, the sort which you might have removed as part of routine hive management

Could it be some instinct which tells them a cavity with grotty long used comb is obviously capable of supporting a colony?

14x12 brood box, well used (def works better than a std natonal brood box)
5 x drawn and laid in frames, 3 central and one on each side wall (with two large cavaties where other frames would go)
Manky old solid floor
Solid pre-used crown board (no feeding holes open - never should be any way!)
assorted wax debris spread over floor
lemon grass 1 drop on top of a central frame every week or so
entrance fully open and facing SSE

Free Swarm

Hi,
I built my TBH over the winter and would like some bees to get it up and running, I'm new to bee keeping looking forward to the challenge of resolving ongoing developments as they arise to keep them happy and maybe they will enable me to enjoy some of they honey. I think I could resolve the differences in the types of hives we use, in any case I would replace old for new you would not lose out. I'm insured and would be most grateful if you could help me out we travel to North Yorkshire a lot. Tel 0191 5813534

Kid regards Ed

This post is 1yr old guys.

Unlikely that the offer still stands.

M

Might be best to PM as this thread is last years
Edit. Missed the post above sorry for repeating

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back