• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bees for free - Yorkshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, Dusty, because it devalues the efforts of people who offer them for sale.
Not against charity, in fact I'm signed up to a number of them. However, we are not talking about feeding the hungry.

Sorry, but this is annoying. Sell them and give the money to charity. Barter them away,swap them for a handful of beans, but dont give them away on first come, first served basis.

But it isn't even in your area. Wouldn't you rather see two people receive healthy colonies than buy them from people who send out nucs on foundation without any stores?

old country adage "bought bees will never prosper"

last year i gave my excess away in return for frames and foundation and a bottle of wine,

Last edited:
Sorry but I wasn't brought up to have such a mercenary disposition, as far as I am concerned the "worker" is free to do what he/she wills with what he/she produces.

To me follow that to its logical conclusion and when you give to charity you devalue your efforts. (Most people receive money for work rather than honey veg etc. so giving it away for no return is to me the same thing as giving the bees/honey away).

don't get me wrong, I was just answering your question!

I give away loads of honey and wax to friends and family, and also swarms, to a few members on here (some for a donation to the forum) but several for free late in the season.

Wow free and yorkshire in the same sentence lol

I give away loads of honey and wax to friends and family, and also swarms, to a few members on here (some for a donation to the forum) but several for free late in the season.

So do I, (not the swarms ). I give my near neighbours a jar of honey each after the harvest, but I would not put up an ad offering free honey on a first come first served basis; that would be silly.

So does the allotment gardener who gives away surplus produce devalue the efforts of the farmer?

Does the farmer who gives away produce to his friends and relations devalue his own work?

They both do if they put up a sign saying "Free Veg here".

I have an allotment and I would give away radishes, lettuces tomatoes to passing strangers, but no one gets any asparagus and only immediate family get potatoes.

You get me?

I have an allotment and I would give away radishes, lettuces tomatoes to passing strangers, but no one gets any asparagus and only immediate family get potatoes.

You get me?

yep, you like asparagus and new potatoes as much as we do!!

You get me?

Not really because the OP made it clear it wasn't a free for all the supply was limited and to certain "types" of keeper. To me just like giving a donation to an unknown person through a charity, or tomatoes to a passing stranger.

If he had said free bees to anyone who wanted them with no restriction on numbers and no qualifying restrictions I would take your point but he didn't.

What a wonderful offer and good on you. Only wished I lived a lot closer to you myself. I very new to this hobby and forgive me if I upset some of you by using the word hobby. I take charge of my first colony next month which I am getting from the same beekeeper who course I am attending. I hope one day I can make that same offer that you have done.

Last edited:
Three swarms in the bait hive so far this year and first free colony delivered. My needs have also been met now so I am prepared to re-set the trap to help another new beek since there is a fair bit of the season left. Would the two people on the reserved list please contact me with an update on their status and whether they still require some help? Again first come first served. R

HB, I have passed on the last swarm already, but I have no problem re-baiting again. Please pm me with your contact details incl mobile and let's discuss what frame format you'd like. May as well go for a hat trick since the bait hive seems to be an apis babe magnet this year.

Bees for free

Hello Rosti
I am a new beekeeper, I live in the North East. I have just joined the forum and seen your offer. I know the bees have been taken now but wondered if I could be put on a waiting list, maybe if you caught any late swarms.
I was expecting to get a nuc from my brother-in-law but due to the bad weather we have suffered a set back. He is an experienced beekeeper and is going to train me and teach me the art of beekeeping. I have a standard national hive, and will site it at my allotment. I am happy to replace all your frames and can do a good line in fresh new potatoes, its looking like a bumper year for potatoes aleast.
Cheers

Reply to simonf

Thanks for the message simonf, I cant send private messages yet, until I have more than 3 posts so hope you get this. I am in Hartlepool, you can email me on [email protected]
Thanks for the offer

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the private message I am trying to get back in touch just need a couple mor posts

Latest posts

Back