Bees flying today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After temps. as low as -16 for for the last month l was delighted to see lots af bees flying at my two national hives and at my nuc which l fed fondant to because l consider it to be a bit week. Temps today was as high as 10c and some bees seemed to be going off on foraging flights. About three weeks ago I moved all the hives about 12 yards to help with access and all seemed well at the moment with just a few bees going back to their old location. As a new beek lm delighted with progress so far.

it was +10 here as well today.

I didn't get a chance to go and see the bees though :(

Our two and a half hives were all flying, a couple came bakc with pollen and this time we know what it was- gorse... quite a bit in flower, surounded by it, oh temp? a balmy 11.5'c thats 16 'c warmer than on Saturday... almost wanted to sit outside and sunbathe, too misty for that though. Really pleased to see the little un up and about all heft ok, so far so good. Next up, what the old saying?- as the days lengthen so the cold strengthens, WE hope not!! still if the November one is right,- if ice in November to carry (cant spell which bear it should be) a duck then the rest of winter all slush and muck... almost dont mind that now...

7C here. First day without snow or wind or freezing mist or frost.
Both hives at 1pm had about 200 bees outside each, flying around and cleansing (? I assume).

First time I've seen them for a month as we have had a very cold December.

Glad I resisted the temptation to peek - which in a TBH is just as well...

6c here, both hives have a few flyers(<20), circling close to the hive at first then flying off with purpose
first day above 5c for a month.

Me a happy newbee.

7C here, the warmest it has been for a long time, and probably for some time to come, so did an OA treatment and added some fondant. All bees were up under the crownboard, and had to smoke them down to get some "seams" to treat. First time I had seen them for 2 months ( having resisted the temptation to fiddle). Some dead on the OMF's so took the opportunity to clear those out. 2 strong hives, and one medium.

Glad they are doing OK.

Bees flying yesterday kicking a few dead out flying today and cleaning out againe looking good/ all snow gone allso moved sheild in front of hive

I got a nice surprise too today.

A nuc and a colony I had marked down as RIP turned out to be very much alive and well... little so and so's were hiding under the fondant.

A belated Christmas pressie. :) And what could be nicer?

PH

A very pleasant +11C yesterday - All colonies out and about including the Apidea - There is gorse in bloom in the area but I watched for about 15 minutes and didn't see any pollen going in :(

Back