Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Liam C Ryan 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Good to see bees flying from my hive in the bottom of the garden or is it?? temp. around +3

thedeaddiplomat 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
Possibly orientation flights or - if the weather has kept them in for a few days - a little light housekeeping.

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Good to see bees flying from my hive in the bottom of the garden or is it?? temp. around +3
..or is it ..

10'C workers reluctant to fly
5.5'C bees become incapacitated
4.4'C bees die if isolated / outside of cluster

Either your thermo temp and the apparent temp at the hives was different or you have some bees who like living on the edge!

:confused:

They could have been short cleansing flights (orientation flights? unlikely to have much viable brood left after the -10'C cold snap) and bees can generate heat. So the question becomes "how long does it take for a flying bee to reduce core temperature from 30'C to 3'C and die under ambient conditions of 3'C?"

I don't know the answer to that :blush5:

Last edited:

Gardenbees 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Both my hives had a few flying bees today. 6C on the "bee thermometer" next to the apiary. I think this is about their limit when it comes to cold. They've had a big kicking-out session of old bits of bee, dead bees, a couple of propolised moths, a harlequin ladybird (alive but very unhappy - stung?) and some kind of fuzzy stuff which may once have been a larger moth of some sort.

There were a couple of dead bees blocking part of the mouseguard. Being a slide-in type of guard, I removed it for a while and scooped out the obstruction. Several guard bees gave my gloves what-for whilst I did this, so it was obviously warm enough outside for them to get aeriated. Later in the afternoon the temperature dropped again and it started to sleet... so I guess that will be the girls' last outing for a while. It is amazing though how they keep the place tidy even during a bad winter.

northernsoul 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I hate these sort of posts. There's nothing like reading about other beeks flying bees while you're looking at your own silent hives thinking all your colonies are dead!

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
:iagree:

I went into the hives yesterday as the sun was shining- I did oxalic treatment to all- but at least half the colonies were so low down I thought I had lost them...They are really tucked in for the long haul and I have had none out flying this week- and its getting colder...

drstitson 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
today

this evening dropped by the assoc apiary and placed a board across the entrance of my hive ready for the snow which is already falling.

Latest posts