Bees fanning wings over raised back at front of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlipiBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi everyone!

I'm finally a beekeeper after collecting bees on Saturday! Yay!

Just observed them and there are a number at the front of the hive with their back ends up facing outwards and are fanning their wings.

I'm sure I read something on this but can't remember what it means.

Please can someone explain?!

Cheers!

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was a scent to call bees back or so they know where to come back to.

If they are too hot is there anything I should do?

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was a scent to call bees back or so they know where to come back to.

If they are too hot is there anything I should do?

no there is not much you can do to help them, they know what they are doing. just sit back and watch :cheers2:

Cool.

I've topped up a little party food selection tray I've placed out with water. Has stones in to help them in/out to access the water.

I'm a little nervous waiting for them to settle as they are so new. Generally they do seem very mild mannered which is good and I have been popping down to take a peek without a suit on.

Thanks for your help!

sounds from your description like Nasonov fanning. The bees secrete and fan a pheromone called the nasonov pheromone to help orientate forager bees back to the hive. Happens with hived swarms and new colonies.

I would have thought as they are new to your hive, they will be sending out the scent to the first foragers to venture out from the hive. They have to get used to their new location, and every little helps.....that is if I read it right and their bums were facing away from the hive.

Am I right guys?

sounds from your description like Nasonov fanning. The bees secrete and fan a pheromone called the nasonov pheromone to help orientate forager bees back to the hive. Happens with hived swarms and new colonies.

sort of, they are sending out a recall order advising trouble at the hive, im assuming u did a inspection?

Fanning does occur to get the airflow moving but from what is described its a call for reinforcements/help at the hive i believe

Yes, they had their heads facing towards the hive.

I've not done an inspection inside as I was hoping not to disturb them yet.

Just checked again and there are a few bees just lurking not doing much at the entrance and just inside the entrance. I had observed a bee carrying back pollen earlier.

Could there be something I need to check on?

Yes, they had their heads facing towards the hive.

I've not done an inspection inside as I was hoping not to disturb them yet.

Just checked again and there are a few bees just lurking not doing much at the entrance and just inside the entrance. I had observed a bee carrying back pollen earlier.

Could there be something I need to check on?
Shouldn't think they'll need checking too quickly - they'll just get annoyed. Horrid though isn't it? I remember WISHING really hard that I could just 'pop and look' - best to leave them a few days though...

The options have been laid out in previous posts. You don't mention whether you are on an open mesh floor or solid floor? If solid may well be fanning for ventilation.

General rule: bums in air scenting, bums on ground fanning. Good book to read "At the hive Entrance" Storch

MGIPhotoSuiteIIIwallpaper.jpg

Do the bees look thus ?.

Check the half moon shaped gland at her rear end!
This is the nasanov gland

John Wilkinson

I've decided to swop them over into my hive tomorrow evening, with expert help!

Currently they are in a mini 5 frame borrowed hive and need to be exchanged over soon either way.

Aside from this recent behaviour, all seems to be ok and the bees seem very mild.

Fingers crossed the change goes well.

Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll be asking for more soon!

Oh and great pics, I that's what they were doing, and its a solid floor and the weather was hot.

Stef

Last edited:
Stef, don't be worried by the fanning - it is absolutely normal, particularly for a new colony and after any sort of disturbance like an inspection. You will see it all the time. The pheromones emitted by the gland act as a rallying call to flying bees and help them locate the hive. If your bees are doing this, with the gland exposed at the hive entrance they are not too hot they are just advertising how happy they are because they want the other bees of the colony to join them. Fret not.

Back