Bees drinking water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Am l right in assuming that bees drinking water this time of year are diluting fondant on which they are mainly feeding? V cold for the last week and anyway little in the way of forage now the pussy willow is finished.

Good to see one of mine making use of one of the water stations I put out for them. No fondant for mine, just leftover + new stores.

Attachments

• EF0F23CB-894C-4493-AC05-B568E6C7C3DB.jpeg
    EF0F23CB-894C-4493-AC05-B568E6C7C3DB.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 31
Am l right in assuming that bees drinking water this time of year are diluting fondant on which they are mainly feeding? V cold for the last week and anyway little in the way of forage now the pussy willow is finished.
Could just as easily be diluting honey to feed young

Could just as easily be diluting honey to feed young
I didn't realise honey, being already liquid, needed to be diluted to feed young. So much to learn; methinks l shall need to stay in the beginners section for ever. Thank you folks for not immediately jumping on my ignorance.

Last edited:
I didn't realise honey, being already liquid, needed to be diluted to feed young.

Did you think squishy larvae were less than 20% water?

I didn't realise honey, being already liquid, needed to be diluted to feed young.

Did you think squishy larvae were less than 20% water?
Oh God, I almost posted I thought the young ate pollen. So glad I didn't as this is so obvious - bottom of class for me too.

Latest posts

Back