Bees clearing hive or something else to worry about!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have recently noticed a small number of dead bees appearing outside one of my hives (there were 12 outside the hive entrance this morning as if they had been ejected as part of a clean!).

Am I right in assuming that this is normal at this time of year as the colony reduces?

I have seen 2 bees with deformed wings (have read the thread) but no more - they otherwise seem ok, bringing in stores, still feeding and have been treated with Apiguard recently?

Is this just newbie pre winter anxiety?

Cheers! Floss

I'm assuming that they're not drones that have been ejected as the temperatures have started to drop?

definately not drones - have'nt seen one for a while.

I have found sometimes that after puttting on the apiguard that it kills off a few bees. It could also be the temperatures dropping as mentioned above. As long as its not a lot of bees (into the hundreds) they should be ok. :cheers2:

Tx for your replies. I checked again to day and there were a couple of bees moving corpses outside the hive - not lots but a few. I was struck that there were a number of seemingly dead varroa on the landing board outside the hive entrances and again outside the hive. I assume they have come of the dead bees and hopefully are a result of my apiguarding??? The nights are much cooler also and there seems to be significantly less acitivity outside the hive. Should I stopped feeding and remove the QE?

Am I right in assuming that there is nothing more I can do? I am waiting to install my OMF asap (arrived today) and then there are good to go for the winter - fingers crossed.

Floss

Latest posts

Back